Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Links and the likes to other sites good or bad ??  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Maxx (OP)

• Too Young to feel this old :)
  • FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
Links and the likes to other sites good or bad ??
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
Everywhere you go you fine links to other major sites! do you think they are helping you or just helping those sites?

I think they only help the site you are linking to and if they in some far corner of their age have a link back to you they still benefit more than you, for you are only one and they many sites like your linking to them.

Unless you are getting paid, I would not ever link to the major sites, unless in unavoidable.

Many I mean many new to the web, just click on them by mistake or to find they need to sign up and great an account their to post their links or what ever and if your site does not get many hits the only ones that gain from your link is the  one you are linking to because they have thousands if not millions of links form small sites like your to them!

The only time links are good is if they are linked to you, this what helps rant your site!

Of course there are more factor s to rankings, but the issue here is links back to you, that are few! :)
So this being said in my HO you are feeding the big and not yourself!

the likes and links mods are only good if they are limited to your site and  or some friends. In most case of the smaller sites! :)

regards,
Maxx
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:59:35 AM by Maxx »
Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Mick

Re: Links and the likes to other sites good or bad ??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »
Links are good for me.  I use viglink.  :wink:
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
Maxx, I think that you're right about the bigger sites, like FaceBook, in that it's way more valuable to them than it is to you. But with sites like that it can be a matter of simple convenience to link to them because your members might find it worthwhile to have the FB like button, or the Tweet  button below a post. Those are the only kind of linkup's that are of interest to me, except for friends sites of course, as seen in the block that I sometimes run in the forum index page.

If you are speaking to ad's that can run on your site in the hopes of generating some income... I've tried that and discarded the idea because those ad's took up to much space and gave nothing in return as income.

@Mick, do you generate any income from viglink?
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• Too Young to feel this old :)
  • FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:10:31 PM »
Yes I run one site that make a few bucks but it gets 1k to 45k hits on many post, but like I said if you don't not get many, then you are doing them a favor.. I would say for every 1,000 clicks on the those social links only 1 maybe being used by the registered member of those sites.

Also note also, I mentioned that links back to you are what counts and these case they few if any, so what is to point for small sites?

What will help best is the content...and agreed on the ads! not mention the goo goo ads are misleading your members and or visors... unless you are make bucks with them!

regards,
Maxx
Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »
I went ahead and re-installed viglink.
It was installed for a while some years ago, but the traffic is so low on this site that the account only ever made $2-3, not enough to generate a check.  laughing7

Offline Mick

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
I went ahead and re-installed viglink.
It was installed for a while some years ago, but the traffic is so low on this site that the account only ever made $2-3, not enough to generate a check.  laughing7

That's why you need a niche, and twitter and facebook pages.  Viglink anywhere tool is most effective on twitter.  :wink:
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »