Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Windows 10 Technical Preview  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Windows 10 Technical Preview
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
Windows 10 Technical Preview

My recent adventures with trying to dual-boot Ubuntu on my old laptop ended with a big fat FAIL!  shocked028

So, I'm thinking... "Let start a new adventure!"  :thumbup:
This time it's the Beta release of "Windows 10 Technical Preview". The download was OK, at 3.92gigs it only took about 20 minutes to grab a copy and then a few minutes to burn the ISO to a DVD, but the install is a whole 'nother story.

I started the install at about 4:30AM and it's now almost 10AM and the display is showing 26%, so, at this rate the install will finish sometime tomorrow!  :whistle1:

EDIT: It has suddenly jumped to 29%... have no idea what that's supposed to mean.  shocked028
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
After about 11 hours it's finally installed!  shocked003

Now me just needs to play with Win 10 for a while.  :happy1:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

Two new folders, "Korea Media Player Center" and "Korea Messenger Center", showed up on my Windows 10 desktop and a Google search found this:

You can read about it here:

“Korean Message Center” link appears on the Windows desktop

Symptoms
On systems running Windows Vista or later versions of Windows with the Korean language pack installed, Windows will display two links on the desktop named "Korean Media Player Center" and "Korean Messenger Center.”
Cause
The Korean Fair Trade Commission requires that Microsoft include links to these Web sites, which contain links to third-party sites that enable consumers to download and to install third-party media players and instant messaging software. Device manufacturers may not remove the links to the Media Player Center Web site or Messenger Center Web site.
Resolution
These links can be removed by the user, by right-clicking on the link and selecting Delete. They will also be automatically removed if the Korean language pack is uninstalled.
More information
The third-party sites are not under the control of MS or Microsoft, and Microsoft is not responsible for the software and contents of any third-party sites, any links contained in third-party sites, or any changes or updates to the third-party software or sites. The inclusion of any link on the Media Player Center Web site or Messenger Center Web site does not imply an endorsement by Microsoft of the third-party software, the site, or its contents. Microsoft provides no warranty whatsoever with respect to the third-party software.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »
Maybe you just need to learn Korean...

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »
 :rofl2 ... I just deleted them.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
Microsoft just released an update:

Music App
Video App
Microsoft Edge (Project Spartan)
Hello, Windows Insider –

It's Gabe again from our Operating Systems Group (OSG) with more updates on the Windows Insider Program. Since my last email to you, we've released our Music Preview and Video Preview apps which you can download here.

Another highlight is Microsoft Edge (Project Spartan), available now in the latest builds. For more details, go here. Check out exciting new features like built-in Cortana, ink capabilities, Reading List and Reading View. And let us know what you think. We're listening! 

In fact, Insider feedback has become so valuable to our engineering process, we’ve decided to rename "Windows 10 Technical Preview" to "Windows 10 Insider Preview." It’s the same OS as before.

Tips & Tricks

For those of you on older desktop builds (9841, 9860 and 9879), you should have already received Windows notices that these builds expired on April 15 and that the builds will not boot as of April 30. If you have not already done so, download the latest ISO File from the Insider download site and perform an upgrade. If your PC will not boot, then you will need to create bootable media and do a clean install of the latest build. One of our Community MVPs has created a nice wiki article with links to the download and also how to create bootable media. And heads up: For 9926, 10041, 10047 the certificate expires in October.

Info for IT Pros

To support the release of Microsoft Edge, we have also created the Microsoft Edge UserVoice Forum for desktop. Vote for your favorite features now!

Info for Developers

Build 2015 has been kicked off. The developer platform team has a ton of session content, and they can’t wait to share it with you: deep dives into the universal app platform, adaptive UI building, Cortana integration, IoT development, and so much more! If you weren’t able to make it to San Francisco, be sure to watch online at channel9 – we will be live-streaming the keynote and top sessions, and all Build sessions will available online to watch within 24 hours of being presented. Together with the latest builds of Visual Studio 2015 and Windows 10, the Build conference will provide you with everything you need to build amazing Windows app experiences. Create some amazingness and tweet us at @wpdev!

As always, keep that feedback coming! In the meantime, you can follow me on Twitter @gabeaul for other breaking news.

Thanks!

g

P.S. If you haven't already installed Windows 10 Insider Preview, you can do it here. (If you are an IT pro, Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview is here.) This is pre-release software, so check out Before you install to be sure it is right for you.

Microsoft just released an update:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:19:26 PM by Ken »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
Tried to update to 'Build 10074' but that didn't work out very well... ended up dumping Windows 10 and going back to the original Windows 7 for this laptop.

Tried to download the new release (Build 10074) but something went  shocked028... gonna try again tonight.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 03:01:09 PM »
I may give it a shot too...after I finish playing with Suse. I may dump Ubuntu altogether and replace it with Suse. It's a lot easier to to use root/SuperUser with it.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
It actually looks a lot like Windows 8/8.1 with the 'start' menu being a little more user friendly... me likes it.  laughing7

And, the best part???
One huge change from past versions of Windows is that upgrading will be free. For a year, you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost if you own a device running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. (Microsoft has not said how much it will cost if users want to download Windows 10 after that first year.)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
Had trouble with my old laptop when trying to install the latest release of Windows 10 (Build # 10074), tried three times to install, but it failed each time.

So... by most accounts this build is very stable and it is close to the finished version, so I thought why not try it on my Lenovo laptop! The install was a little glitchy, but after it installed it seems to be running OK. The only major issue so far is that it is not seeing one partition on the HDD, so for now about 150 gigs of space is missing... gotta get busy on the Windows 10 forums to see if there is a fix available.

I like the start screen, it's a mix of the Tiles and links(on the left side like the 'All Programs' of old) and this version (10074) the menu looks much better because it only covers part of the screen instead of taking the whole screen.
One 'App' that I do not like is 'OneDrive', it is very pushy and there is no uninstall, it's built into the OS. :censored:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »
I have it on my Win 8.1 but never tried it yet...

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Had all three of our laptops running build 10130, but my older laptop kept throwing BSOD's so after trying a lot of different fixes posted around the internet I finally gave in and reinstalled Win 7.  :groan:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
Did you have all of your drivers updated?

Did you upgrade to Win 8/8.1...I think there was a free upgrade for Win 7 users...I think.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
Don't know if the drivers were up to date, but when Win 10 final comes out I'll have to deal with it. :)

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
Best try to update the drivers now, if you can. Motherboard, and everything else.