Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Simple Machines Forums, Tutorial and Overview  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Maxx (OP)

• Too Young to feel this old :)
  • FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
Simple Machines Forums, Tutorial and Overview
« on: November 22, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
Simple Machines Forums, Tutorial and Overview

Update
note: on Today's CPanel installers, most setup a DataBase along with the install process and the installers will be easier, so most attention after the install, will be on the SMF setup it's self, after install.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:01:58 PM by Maxx »
Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Mick

Re: Simple Machines Forums, Tutorial and Overview
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
This kind of goes against everything I've learnt over the years.  Personally I wouldn't touch a auto installer with a extremely long barge pole lol..   They can cause major grief, especially with upgrades etc.  You're always better of installing this stuff properly = manually.

Some sites wont offer support if a auto installer is used, our Coppermine support site being one of them.  If you go over to SMF and type softaculous into the search there you'll see some of the problems.
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
No auto installers for me either. After seeing so many horror stories on the SMF forums where peoples forums were in disarray from an auto installer I decided years ago to stay far away from them.  laughing7
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
WOW..This was posted for those who do not know how..and I have done 100's of auto installs and never once had issues. and that just with SMF!
I do not use for myself always and for upgrades though..
Don't know where you guys get hosted?,
These things are for people new to the web and this what it's intended, I know you guys know How :)

maxx

Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Mick

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:40:23 PM »
WOW..This was posted for those who do not know how..and I have done 100's of auto installs and never once had issues. and that just with SMF!
I do not use for myself always and for upgrades though..
Don't know where you guys get hosted?,
These things are for people new to the web and this what it's intended, I know you guys know How :)

maxx

Those things are for people who haven't a clue where to start, I agree.  But that doesn't change the fact that they're not recommended, and can cause agro.  :wink:

This post kind of sums up what I'm saying. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=98911.msg3820704#msg3820704
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »
I've used them myself and have had good and bad results with them. Different hosting will install them different ways.

The problem with installers, in general, are that they suppress errors and do not take you through the installation process the way the software creators intended. If you cannot see any errors or other problems...how can you tell what went wrong and where? You also have no way of knowing if something else is being installed along with it.

The problems with hosting are they usually don't update regularly (even for security updates) and will not give support for the software. They will send you to the support site for the software...who will send you back to the hosting because you did not go through the proper steps.

The problems with support is they can't properly help you if you cannot tell them at which point during the install there was a problem. If there is a 4 step process, let's say, and each step asks for certain info like SMF does...how can they tell what step had the problem. Even you cannot tell them what was entered at what particular step...ESPECIALLY if you let the installer enter the info for you. Most new users will have no idea how to get that info or remember what they did. Also, there are quite a few software support sites that will not give support like CPG, phpBB and others. And again, they will send you back to the hosting for support...the vicious support cycle continues and a user will probably give up using that particular software.

I only recommend it for testing to see if you like the software but I ALWAYS tell people to install it the proper way. You will learn a lot more and will get much better support. You can also get the proper upgrades when you need them and when you wish to install them instead of waiting for the installer to upgrade!

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
Sorry I will not post anything else here, you guys make things too complicated for the new people,
I start when way before SMF and did everything hard way that, is not even known now days. I try make things easy those to get involved in the community and give the all fear of doing so! Not good.

Evey thing you guys say I can find ways to get around those issues, and as mentioned, I never have trouble installing any program, even CGI and pearl and others. The same goes for the people at SMF and the reason why many have left there, they are stuck on stupid and yet the smartest people on the planet LOL and moved on to much things, I started making themes when it was all hard coded with the early versions of PHP and related Database. but this does mean, I have discourage the young and new form, doing there thing. all the talk and  no action toward helping others as I do daily on many levels and many software apps and systems. and I want to thank everyone for all the help they gave me Not!

If you care about the future don make harder for the new, show them it can be done :)

Good by!
maxx

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
Maxx, I'm sorry that you have taken this decision. Can't speak for others of course, but in my case my criticism was not directed at you but at the 'auto-installer' process.

I wish you good fortune in whatever you do Maxx.

Offline Mick

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »
Maxx, I'm sorry that you have taken this decision. Can't speak for others of course, but in my case my criticism was not directed at you but at the 'auto-installer' process.

I wish you good fortune in whatever you do Maxx.

I was just about to say something similar.  It wasn't personal at all, just talking about the auto installers, not having a pop at you Maxx, so I'm bemused as to how this prompted your decision to leave.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »
You don't understand at all... it's not about me in anyway. It's all about the encouragement of the new, not negative replies that deflect toughs whom this may help.. If everyone cuts down ideas, rather than offering something helpful or better, this does not help the SMF community to grow... can no one understand this.
if we have nothing good to say we all need to say nothing and let the pub decide for themselves, in staid of reading a bunch of chatter against the original message. I was not asking who likes it  or not.

If you think about it, you can find bad and good in anything, but that's to point here.

I feel bad that so many have issues with things, I find very useful today!

Maxx

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 04:06:00 AM »
Actually I understand more than you might imagine Maxx.

As providers of forum software products and we being support staff surrounding those products, it is our responsibility to give the very best support and information that we can give and for the very reasons that you mention.

The way that we must mentor and encourage new users is to offer up useful information and advice based on sound principles. That means that we must speak up when we see something that we think would not be a best practice for a new user and in this case we are talking about an install utility that is sometimes difficult for even seasoned users to deal with.

Maxx, I can see that you have put a lot of effort into this video and you deserve to be applauded for your efforts and I do say,"Congratulations" on the work that you've done.  :thumbup:

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »
Ken,

That was real nicely put. and I see, I will never be right here! :( or at TP ( not my purpose)
But still I fail to find anyone's justifiable reason for putting down the auto installer of today.
again I test all the on line an off line software I can find including Window Linux and most all forums and CMS apps and never have any issues what so ever, with them.

I work the hard way and the easy way to better inform the new to the web. I was one of the first to even try the SMF 2.1 + and the TP on it and as well as many other programs, I test most all of them.
I was working with HTML and PHP CSS way back before most even knew about them, I even worked digital systems before they hit the open market ( down to component level.)_

Now unless you have a very bad host and features, you should not put down what you are not certain about. I use this stuff daily. and am very familiar working it manually, for I do this daily also, and when using the auto installer I also check my installs :)

On my sites I explain to all the ups and downs of many things and how TOS on some sites that get 38 + thousand of views. and if they have problems I do help them if means going to their sites and showing them How!

I know, I don't have a way words like most, they get the point as most in the SMF community do not it seems ( words are what killing the community) not to repeat myself again) all talk and no work!! ( seems to be the new norm. now days with everything :(

I do new things with SMF before anyone else does them, and I even work with things that need be done off line and uploaded, tested by trail and error.

While most are talking the talk, I'm busy doing it.

I do respect you guys, not saying that I do not, but I will not, distract anyone from what you say unless ,I have prof  there is better way to do it for the new user, ( and most times I'll PM you first) not put down the idea, deferring the public form the message.
not my someones word. but with the end results.

I believe in TP and SMF and Ezportal as well you know, but all the nay Sayer's are not a helping at all, that's my point!

I do what I say I'm going to do, or at least give a shot! more than I can say about many. not pointing out anyone!
And if I fail, I keep on trying on or off line!

maxx

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:26:15 AM by Maxx »

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
Ken,

That was real nicely put. and I see, I will never be right here! :( or at TP ( not my purpose)

groan:

There you go again... As soon as someone disagrees with your opinions and give their own opinion you take it personally and want to take you ball and go home. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. No one said anything bad nor mean to you in any way but that is the way you are taking it. Why? Our opinions are based on our own personal experiences just as your opinions are based on your experiences. No one slammed you or what you did...we just talked about our own personal experiences based on using the same thing.

But still I fail to find anyone's justifiable reason for putting down the auto installer of today.
again I test all the on line an off line software I can find including Window Linux and most all forums and CMS apps and never have any issues what so ever, with them.

I work the hard way and the easy way to better inform the new to the web. I was one of the first to even try the SMF 2.1 + and the TP on it and as well as many other programs, I test most all of them.
I was working with HTML and PHP CSS way back before most even knew about them, I even worked digital systems before they hit the open market ( down to component level.)_

Now unless you have a very bad host and features, you should not put down what you are not certain about. I use this stuff daily. and am very familiar working it manually, for I do this daily also, and when using the auto installer I also check my installs :)

Maxx, we ARE speaking from experience and from just what the think they may or may not do. ALL OF US have been around for quite awhile...me, surfing the net for over 27 years or so!. You are not reading what we are saying and putting words in our mouths. Personally, I've been on maybe 25 different hosting myself. This does not include the MANY hosting I use when I help people with their sites or the MANY, MANY people (maybe hundreds) I've helped move their sites from one hosting to another over the many years I've been doing this. You are NOT the only person who uses things on a daily basis! I use the installers all of the time to test software I am unfamiliar with but never on a live production site! You do not know it all and neither do we. So please stop acting like you do or what you say is best. It is your opinion. No one asked you to remove it or said it was garbage or trashed it but that is how you are taking it.

On my sites I explain to all the ups and downs of many things and how TOS on some sites that get 38 + thousand of views. and if they have problems I do help them if means going to their sites and showing them How!

I know, I don't have a way words like most, they get the point as most in the SMF community do not it seems ( words are what killing the community) not to repeat myself again) all talk and no work!! ( seems to be the new norm. now days with everything :(

Then why did you not explain the downsides of autoinstallers like we did. ;) "Words" are are not killing the community...bad words/comments from bad people are. If words are killing the community and you are also using words then aren't you killing it too?

How can you say "all talk and no work" when you have no idea what other people do...just because they didn't post everything they do or they didn't tell you that they did something? You and I talk privately all of the time and there are many things I do that you no nothing about...and I'm sure there are things you do that I know nothing about. The same does for everyone else in this world (billions of people and you can speak for them all?). You can't say no one is doing anything if you don't know for sure what they do and haven't told you! If you do know who then prove it...tell us who... You can't... You cannot read everyone's minds or secretly see what they are doing when no one else is watching.

I do new things with SMF before anyone else does them, and I even work with things that need be done off line and uploaded, tested by trail and error.

While most are talking the talk, I'm busy doing it.

:rofl2 Unless you've actually created something from scratch that is very different from anyone else in the world and can prove it among the 357,871 SMF registered members (probably more that have not registered cause they don't need the help). Apparently, you have never read the many, many topics where users need support for offline help???

Again, just because people do not tell YOU what they are doing does not mean no one else is doing it! If you think otherwise then prove it. Show us who does not do this and who does...

I do respect you guys, not saying that I do not, but I will not, distract anyone from what you say unless ,I have prof  there is better way to do it for the new user, ( and most times I'll PM you first) not put down the idea, deferring the public form the message.
not my someones word. but with the end results.

I believe in TP and SMF and Ezportal as well you know, but all the nay Sayer's are not a helping at all, that's my point!

I do what I say I'm going to do, or at least give a shot! more than I can say about many. not pointing out anyone!
And if I fail, I keep on trying on or off line!

maxx

Just because one disagress with you does not mean they are a naysayer! Maybe it just means they disagrees and you need to learn to be an adult about it and deal with it!

You cannot not say no one else is doing anything because they have not told YOU about it or you cannot see them doing it! Who do you think you are that EVERYONE needs to tell EVERYTHING they do to you??? If you really wish to get ahead and make a way for yourself instead of in your own little world, then you need to change the way you think of others and things in general. Running away from people and sites because you disagree with others only stunts YOUR growth...not the growth of others. You can't learn from others if you keep running way or hiding! You should always try to learn from others...even you enemies!!! ;)

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »
You don't even know what you are talking about, just sticking with the SOS. and you most of all, have to have the last word at every thing. You all quote but do not read.. hope you never need help, and I hope all stay sharing the same brain!

I'd never help any of you ever and must all of you said you'd help with many things and no one step up! you can say what you will but you all will fail like SMF lost all the good coders and helps they once had!

I surly hope no one visits any of your site looking for help or the real facts.. I told you I have down sides  to confuse the new to these things!
What have you  created lately my freind?

maxx

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »
You just don't get it and that's the problem!

We do know what we are talking about but you think you are the only one who knows anything! Nothing is about "The last word". No one has the last word or there would be no more words to be EVER said! No more posts, no more talking, no more sounds!!! You have serious issues, bro! I am quoting because I have read. Maybe you should try the same...

I always need help and I am not ashamed to ask for help. Are you??? Maybe that's the problem. You think you know it all but are afraid to ask for help. EVERYONE needs help sooner or later...even you! The only posts I see from you ANYWHERE are comments or what you THINK you know. Show me topics where you have asked for help. You think you are doing something because you are doing things in bootstrap then maybe YOU should have created it! Open you mind and think, Maxx!!!

Yes, you have helped me. I've learned a lot from you about CSS, etc. The problem with you is you will never say when someone has helped you.

What have YOU created lately? Again...prove it? A response and no proof???

What are the downsides to the new things like this? A response and again no proof???

I would NEVER post that I hope no one would ever visit your site because you DO help and I've tried to respect you but you are too arrogant to realize that you need help too and respect no one else. Act like a man for once and respect that others have a difference of opinion!

Sorry, Ken but it needs to be said!