Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Tips For Low Sodium Dishes  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Tips For Low Sodium Dishes
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
In this topic, I'll be discussing foods and the amount of sodium that contain. This is just to give you all an idea of things we tend to eat every day and their sodium content. Keep in mind a normal daily sodium intake is 2300 mg and around 1500 if you have high blood pressure or on some other sodium restricted diet. Please check with your own doctor for your exact amount for your body!

Let's start with a turkey sandwich. Most of us tend to use slices of bread or buns of some sort, lettuce, tomatoes, turkey (deli-sliced or home cooked), at least one slice of cheese, and some condiment such as mayo and or mustard. Seems harmless enough, right? Let's see.. (sodium amounts are approximate. Please check the labels of the things you purchase for more accurate amounts.

1. Bread:

2 slices of white bread = 220 mg
2 slices of wheat bread = 300 mg ...Hmmm, you'd think wheat if healthier than white...

2. Lettuce - 1 cup shredded = 10 mg So, you'd probably use 1/8 cup, if that on a sandwich so this is a good thing.

3. Turkey - 2 oz deli-sliced turkey (which most of us tend to use) = 620 mg
3.5 oz of cooked fresh turkey breast = 52 mg Buy a whole turkey or a breast and cook it fresh and slice or dice it yourself. You'll also save money! ;)

4. Cheese - Kraft American processed = 220 mg Who puts only one slice of cheese on their sammy? So, you'd have to double that in most cases. Low sodium cheeses are available! Check are your local deli counter or cheese monger!

5. Tomato - 1 slice red tomato = about 1-2 mg Not even worth counting even though most people would put 2 slices on their sammy.

6. Condiments:

Mayo - 90 mg / teaspoon
Miracle Whip - 100 mg / teaspoon
Yellow Mustard - 55 mg / teaspoon
Whole Grain Mustard - 120 mg / teaspoon
Honey mustard - 25 mg / teaspoon
Dijon Mustard 120 mg / teaspoon

Now for the math:

220 mg - 2 slices of white bread
620 mg - deli-sliced turkey which one who tend to buy or put on a sandwich from your local sandwich shop
220 mg - sliced cheese or double that for 2 slices
100 mg - mustard...let's round it off depending on the mustard you'd use.

So, you'd have 1100mg or so of sodium in one sandwich. Most people would call that a snack, not a meal!!! 1100 mg out of the 2300 mg daily requirement for normal people...almost half! What about the foods you'll eat for the rest of your day? And if you are on a sodium restricted diet of 1500 mg per day you won't be able to eat much more (or anything else) for the rest of the entire day!!!

This is not counting the other various things one would like to add on their sandwich or would replace like subbing ham for turkey with is usually cured in salt and MUCH higher in sodium.

The point of this topic? Think and read the labels before you buy something! If there is no label then ask the seller. Better safe than sorry!  :thumbup:

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: Tips For Low Sodium Dishes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
Good info on sodium values... I didn't realize that a sandwich could contain so much of it.  :o
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »
Neither did I until I starting doing the math. BTW, some supermarkets do have a low sodium version of deli-meats which are VERY low compared to the regular versions.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
Spaghetti with Pasta Sauce

Who doesn't love pasta with a rich red or white sauce??? Today, we'll focus on red sauce (gravy)...

Personally, I like mine with ground sausage or ground beef, diced onions, crushed or roasted garlic, mild green chilies, red wine, finely shredded carrots, scredded cheese and the usualy seasonings of salt, pepper, basil, and sometimes oregano and rosemary (also called Italian Seasoning). The sauce is usually made with crushed or diced tomatoes...no jarred sauce for me. But my other half doesn't make it without some sort of jarred sauce. Don't get me wrong, I've eaten my share or jarred sauces over the years and have made sauces using them...but not in quite a few years. However, I do have to eat hers when she cooks or make something else to eat... :(

Since I've started these sodium discussions, and she happens to be making pasta for dinner, I've decided to count the sodium in her sauce versus mine. >:D

Her Sauce:

DelGrosso Pepperoni Flavored (sometimes Prego brand): 680mg/ .50 cup ...who only use half a cup of sauce on their plate!

Kraft Shredded Cheese: Approx 180 mg/ .25 cup ...that is the lowest amount I could find and most people add more than that on their plate..

Ground Meat:
Approx. 420mg/ 2 ounces ground sausage ...about what most will have in their sauce per plate.
Approx. 38mg/ 2 ounces ground beef ...about what most will have in their sauce per plate.

...We won't count the seasonings and veggies...so for the math:

1280mg with ground sausage
897mg with ground beef

And that's the mininium without adding salt to flavor the food while cooking nor adding it just before serving!

My Sauce:

I use whole fresh tomatoes or no-salt added canned whole or crushed tomatoes and one 6 oz can tom paste: not worth counting

Crushed Toms: 230mg/ .50 cup
Diced Toms: 220mg/ .50 cup

Mild Green Chiles: Approx. 70mg/ 2 tablespoons ...most would have 2 tablespoon in the whole pot for maybe an 1/8 of that would be consumed, not worth counting

Ground Meat:
Approx. 420mg/ 2 ounces ground sausage ...about what most will have in their sauce per plate.
Approx. 38mg/ 2 ounces ground beef ...about what most will have in their sauce per plate.

Kraft Shredded Cheese: Approx 180 mg/ .25 cup ...since my diet I do not add the cheese anymore but will add it for the sake of this discussion.

...We won't count the seasonings and veggies...so for the math:

640mg with ground sausage
258mg with ground beef

And that's the mininium without adding salt to flavor the food while cooking nor adding it just before serving!

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:23:44 PM »
Do Lealer know that you are posting her recipes?  And making comparisons? :hah!:

Both recipes sound great.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
I wouldn't call using jar sauce a recipe. LOL