Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

Today at 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

Yesterday at 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

Yesterday at 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

Yesterday at 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

Yesterday at 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

Yesterday at 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Recent Hall of Fame selection Owens passes at 88  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Recent Hall of Fame selection Owens passes at 88
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
While I never met Cotton Owens we did drive by his shop often when we were living in Spartanburg in the late 80's.
http://www.cottonowens.com/

... this from NASCAR.com where you can see the rest of this article.
Cotton Owens, the Hall of Fame driver and car owner whom David Pearson referred to as his hero, has passed away just weeks after being selected to the 2013 class of the NASCAR shrine.

Winner of two NASCAR modified titles as a driver and a premier-series championship as a car owner, Everett "Cotton" Owens was 88. He had recently been in poor health, and was unable to attend the May 23 ceremony in downtown Charlotte where he was selected as one of the five members of the Hall of Fame to be inducted next year. He instead watched the ceremony on television back home in Spartanburg, S.C., surrounded by his children. His condition was exacerbated by the passing of his wife Dot, who died in April.

Owens passed away Thursday morning. His death was confirmed by a NASCAR Hall of Fame official.

"He was always an honest, hard-working individual, and everybody always saw him as that," Owens' grandson Brandon Davis said at the Hall of Fame ceremony last month.

Within NASCAR circles, though, Owens was seen as a giant. As a driver he won more than 100 races on the sport's modified circuit, nine more on what is now the Sprint Cup tour, and lost a close battle with Lee Petty for the 1959 Cup championship. As an owner, he fielded cars driven by some of the best of his era -- Junior Johnson, Mario Andretti, Ralph Earnhardt, Fireball Roberts, Buck Baker and Pearson, the latter of whom won the 1966 premier-series title in Owens' Dodge.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:01:33 PM by Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.