Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Thinking About Buying A New Bass  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Thinking About Buying A New Bass
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
Been pondering this for awhile now. But first a little history... I've played bass for a number of years, years ago, with bands and as an enthusiast. From some of the music posts and videos you should be able to see how much I love the bass.  :D

The problem is: if I'll still keep playing with it or will it sit in the corner after a year or so and I've spent $$$ on it...

Been looking at some nice Ibanez basses at Guitar Center...which I do actually visit the stores every once in awhile...  :whistle1:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/GSR200SM-4-String-Electric-Bass.gc?pfm=sp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/SR250-Electric-Bass.gc?pfm=sp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/SR250-Electric-Bass.gc?pfm=sp

Offline Mick

Re: Thinking About Buying A New Bass
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
You kept that quiet Steve, didn't know you played Bass.  :thumbup:

You probably won't go far wrong with a Ibanez, although you might consider a five string Bass as apposed to four, they are becoming more popular nowadays, and give you that extended lower range. ;)

As for whether you'd play it enough, or sit it in the corner, only you can decide that one.  Get one you enjoy playing and you won't put it down. ;)
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
I've thought about a 5 string. I held one once many years ago but it felt a bit strange. Maybe I should give it another shot. I might stop by Guitar Center in the morning and have a look around.

Offline Mick

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:18:43 AM »
I've thought about a 5 string. I held one once many years ago but it felt a bit strange. Maybe I should give it another shot. I might stop by Guitar Center in the morning and have a look around.

Certainly work checking out again, things have probably moved on quite a bit since you last tried one.  Either way get something you're comfortable with, or you won't  pick it up and play it. 

Do you still have a amp?  or are you going to play through a amp sim and DAW through your PC?
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Of course...gotta play with them a bit in the store and make sure they feel right. ;)

I've considered using the PC but it's much easier and more cost effective to just get a nice small amp. I won't have to worry about updates, buying extras for the PC, etc. I'm not going to do any gigs so a small amp would be prefect.

Offline Mick

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »
Of course...gotta play with them a bit in the store and make sure they feel right. ;)

I've considered using the PC but it's much easier and more cost effective to just get a nice small amp. I won't have to worry about updates, buying extras for the PC, etc. I'm not going to do any gigs so a small amp would be prefect.

I agree, because although there's some freebie software options you'd still have to buy a audio interface of some kind.  For Guitar I have a line 6 UX2 interface which can be used for guitar and vocals if needed.  Though a couple of my amps have USB connectivity so I tend use those.  For software I use the full version of Amplitube 4 which is superb for what I do, and for a DAW I use Reaper.  A couple of my Multi effect pedals also have USB connectivity, and double up as an interface for recording and playing along to backing tracks etc. 

All I need to do is learn how to play the guitar and I'm set to go.  The old expression, "All the gear, no idea" springs to mind. lol...

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work...and a lot of learning just to get started with Amplitube! LOL Reaper looks impressive. Reminds me of being in a studio...I miss those days.

Offline Mick

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 04:56:17 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work...and a lot of learning just to get started with Amplitube! LOL

Well tbh, it's only as complicated as you make it really, plug in, choose a amp, or preset, adjust to needs and play.  Or you can go deep changing cabinet and speaker types.  amp types, pedal types rack effects to mention a few.  It has a looper built in, and a 8 track daw.  My friend Howard done a review for me on my Guitarist Guild site AMPLITUBE 4 REVIEW

*Will run as standalone app or as plugin for your DAW.

Yo can get a free version of Amplitube 4 from http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

Reaper looks impressive. Reminds me of being in a studio...I miss those days.

Reaper is fantastic actually. and  runs free without restriction if you want to put up with the nag screen on start up.  It's really cheap to by the licence though should you wish to do the right thing.  * Amplitube will run as a plugin inside reaper which makes things even easier.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
I've played with a program similar to Reaper years ago when I was playing around with DJ Atomix and the Panasonic DJ (I forget the name of it) softwares. Can't remember the name of that one too. LOL But it was a lot of fun mixing and sampling music from CD's and WAV's.