Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Group #2, 7-12, Essay Contest Posting Area...The Polls Are Open!!!  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Please Read Here Before Voting.
We have two entries in this group, ?Chris A? and ?taylor_yo_? and their Essay Contest entries are listed below.
After you read through both entries you should pick the one you like best and then cast your vote.

When you have finished voting we would love it if you would click on the Reply button and tell all of us what you liked about both entries and I'm sure the contestants Chris & Taylor would like to hear what you think as well.   ;)

Voting is really simple in this poll, if you look up above this post you can see the poll with the two entries and all you do is just click in the circle in front of name of your choice to make the green dot appear in the circle and then click on the Submit Vote button.
...you must login to see the voting controls in the poll

After you vote you will be able to see the standings as they are at that point in time.
Please note that your vote can't be changed after you click on the Submit button.

Please be sure to vote in the other poll for Group #3, you can find it HERE.
... the other poll is a completly different poll for Group #3, with it's own contestants and prize fund.

Questions:

*Who can vote???
Any registered member of Your FamilyForum can vote in the polls and we hope that each and every one of you do so. If you have not yet joined our membership ranks you can still vote as long as you are registered and logged in before the contest voting deadline, 09/23/2006.
Ps: Contestants? you can vote too!

*Who CANNOT vote???
GrandMa Kay and me (G-Pa Ken) because we are the judges if the need arises for some kind of judicial action, like a tie-breaker. Also, the account that I use for test purposes cannot vote. (Jake)

*Will the other members know who I voted for???
Only if you tell them, the system is designed so that your name is not published, it is also designed so that you cannot vote again after your vote has been Submitted.

*What will the prizes be???
For this Group;
First place will be; $50.00
Second place will be; $20.00

------------------------
------------------------

This is the Topic where you can post your Essay if you are in Group #2, 7-12.

When you are ready to post your entry just come to this thread, sign in, (or register) and click on the Reply button then type, or paste your entry into the message field.
If you need a little help on how to 'reply' you can find a how-to HERE.

Remember that you can include up to two pictures as part of your essay if you wish to, just click on Additional Options and then in the Attach field put in the location of the picture or pictures you want to attach. The picture can be uploaded from your PC, or from an internet location. (no flash objects please, they will be removed)

Have fun & Enjoy!
If you have problems of any kind please email, or call me so that we can get it sorted out... Thanks, g-pa ken
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 05:27:13 PM by G-Pa Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline taylor_yo_

• Family
  • FamilyForum Cancer Research Team
  • View Gallery
Re: Group #2, 7-12, Essay Contest Posting Area
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:34:18 PM »
Taylor?s Essay

Have you ever had one of those summers you just want to stop and freeze yourself in time because life can?t be better? Well I have!
 This summer my wonderful cousins Tiffany and Lindsey came to visit.
Tiffany brought along with her her boyfriend Andrew and his friend Kory. They left at 10:00 pm and got here at like 11:30 am! When they arrived in king we met them at a gas station I couldn?t believe that they drove all night!
As soon as we got to the house we all jumped in the pool! I was skeptical about getting in because I had just gotten my hair straightend and if I got it wet then it would have curled again but Andrew told me to get in or he would throw me in and I thought he was joking but instead he tossed me in like I was a football!.
    After we swam for a while we decided to go to bowman gray stadium which is a race car track we had a great time there as well, except the cars were so loud that Lindsey and I came home with a headache!!!! Andrews?s friend Kory was becoming homesick and they went home but my cousin Lindsey stayed here, after about a week past and me Lindsey and the family all went to the beach. The water was freezing, and you could go out as far as you wanted to but the water would still be up to your knees, but every once in awhile you would hit a drop off! We stayed there about 4 days and we stayed in a cute little condominium. My mother had a birthday while we were at the beach as well. We went shopping out to eat and paddle boating which was extremely fun! So I am sure she had a great birthday! My birthday was a day after we returned home, also a couple days before Lindsey had to return home herself because her sister was expecting a baby in a couple days.
   So that Friday I invited a couple of friends to come and hang out with me and Lindsey and go watch ?John Tucker Must Die? which by the way is one of the best movies I have seen in a while.  Afterward my Aunt Belinda and Cousin Jessica had come down from N.Y.  To pick up Lindsey.
The next day we came over to Grandma Kay and grandpa kens house to reunite Aunt Belinda and Grandma Kay we took a lot of pictures and ate a lot of food! all went well and we were on our way back to our house to get aunt Belinda Jessica and Lindsey?s stuff together for there trip back home. That morning we woke up kissed everybody goodbye and waved them off as they drove down the street.
   But still my summer was not complete! I still had cheerleading tryouts to worry about! For the next 5 days I couldn?t think about anything else but cheerleading from stunts to jumps to cheers to chants I practiced everyday!
   Finally came tryout day! There were 48 girls and the coach only had 18 uniforms! So there for only the best would even come close to making it. Our hearts were pounding as each group entered the gymnasium to be scored. The next morning I woke up got dressed as fast as I could ran downstairs and out to the bus stop! I was so anxious to see if I had made it.
   When we reached the school I dashed towards the bulletin bored to see if I had made the cut. I was the first person on the list! That is how my summer went and I am very grateful if I could change one thing I don?t think I would!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:49:44 PM by taylor_yo_ »

Offline Chris A.

• A True Gangster, DOG! So back up Homie!
  • Family
  • View Gallery
    • My Myspace
Re: Group #2, 7-12, Essay Contest Posting Area
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:08:26 PM »
Summer Essay
By Christopher Alexandra

When the word ?summer? comes to mind most think of mindless entertainment and freedom. However if you were to experience a summer such as mine, your perception would be greatly changed. Of course my summer did contain plenty of enjoyment; it also was a period of vast maturing. I learned that a man?s greatest treasure was his family, I learned the value of a dollar and I also learned that to be successful in life, you must apply yourself fully to everything you do.
   This summer I have learned many valuable life lessons, but above all I learned that family is the greatest thing a person can have. Every year, my mother, father and many members from the car club go to Atlanta, Georgia for an astronomically large car show called Nopi. Every year I go, I regret not having a digital camera to capture the true greatness of this event. Well, this summer my parents told me that if I were to watch my little brother this summer, they would actually pay me for my services, they were actually going to buy me a digital camera. I was extremely ecstatic, ?Haha? I said to myself, ?all I have to do is stay home all day, watch TV and play on my computer, and get paid for it?? But little did I know that this job wouldn?t be so easy. Dominic, my little brother, has always been one extremely rambunctious child, and this summer his insanity was easily illustrated. Of course, when the summer started I had no control over him, and my house was completely chaotic until about six thirty PM, when my mother came home. As the summer progressed, his respect for me rose and rose, to the point where I can now aid my parents in showing him right from wrong. In the meantime, my younger cousin, Lindsey, from NY came down to visit. She, her sister, her sister?s boyfriend, and one of their close friends all came down just before my family went on vacation. It was an absolutely fun week. Later, after everyone left except for Lindsey, we debated on whether we should go to the mountains, or the beach. In the end we decided on going to Carolina Beach. We had an absolute blast.
   Another important life lesson I learned was the true value of a dollar. As mentioned before, my parents offered me a digital camera to take care of my little brother over the summer. Well as the summer progressed, I could tell that what I was doing was wrong. My parents work extremely hard to take care of themselves and their children. So as the last days of summer came, the gut wrenching feeling in my stomach grew and grew until I got to the point where I finally had to just tell my parents that I didn?t want any reward. In two months I?ll be old enough to get a legitimate job, and I understand that money isn?t exactly easy to make, it is something you have to work for. So in summary I learned that taking the camera would be like ?ripping off? my parents, and I declined their offer.
   Finally, the lesson I think is most important, is to be successful in life, you must apply yourself fully to everything you do. For example, if you want to be a reporter, you must study your subject, find all information possible and deliver it as truthfully as possible. As most of you know, I tried out for football this summer and to my astonishment, I made varsity offensive line. However, this being my first year, I wanted to have more experience before I started on varsity. So I told my head coach that I thought it best to be moved down to junior varsity. So every day after I attended everyday of practice, I listened to everything the coaches said, and I asked questions if I was confused. I still am on JV, but the coaches know who I am. I started playing as a right guard on the offensive line, and now I have been playing in varsity games as a defensive end. In my opinion, I believe I am doing great, and if I keep applying myself to this sport as I have been, I may be a starting player next year.
   In conclusion, I had an unforgettable summer. I have matured greatly, I learned that a man?s greatest treasure was his family, I learned the value of a dollar and I also learned that to be successful in life, you must apply yourself fully to everything you do. And I believe that if I use these lessons my whole life I will be a much respected person.

Offline angela kimbrell

Re: Group #2, 7-12, Essay Contest Posting Area...The Polls Are Open!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 09:09:52 PM »
Chris and Taylor, you both write wonderful essays and it is so hard trying to pick just one of you to vote for.

Taylor you must have a future as a writer because your story sounds so good its like I am almost there with you while you go to all those places on your summer vacation time.

Chris you are a rare gem and you have a bright future to because you have gained so much knowledge and wisdom for someone so young, I know that you are a wonderful person.

I won?t tell you which one I voted for, but you are both winners.
Love you, Angie 

Offline Mallie

• Family Matriarch [R.I.P]
  • [R.I.P]
  • Mallie90+
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:33:01 PM »
Chris and Taylor:  Your stories are so good, it is hard to know which one is best.  I  love both entries.  Thank you for these nice stories.  I shall file them away in my filing system.   From your photos I know that you are both good looking people, and I would love to meet you in person and learn about your plans about your writing. You might have been planning to write in the future.    Mallie Kimbrell

Offline Chris A.

• A True Gangster, DOG! So back up Homie!
  • Family
  • View Gallery
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:49:03 PM »
well thank you ladies. it was hard competing against my little siter, but I cant cut her any slack, because if i do, she'll come back and woop my butt. :D

Offline james3

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »
Chris and Taylor,

Your stories are great! I like the first person perspective of Taylor's entry. She gives a first rate account of events of that day and makes a concerted attempt to place the reader in the moment. This is a very effective style to use.

Chris what can I say, you also have a good flow to your story. I like the fact that you also added a paragraph that could be labled "words of wisdom". Those types of comments in that para are allways welcomed from us older folks.

It's hard to choose amoung the two of you. Keep up the writing, it will come in handy thru out your life, no matter which career you follow after college.

Love Kenny (aka James 3)

Offline taylor_yo_

• Family
  • FamilyForum Cancer Research Team
  • View Gallery
Re: Group #2, 7-12, Essay Contest Posting Area...The Polls Are Open!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 09:45:11 AM »
yes i know it is very hard to chose just one person exspecialy when we r siblings and there is rivalary!
hahahhahaha but anyway
u guys should choses me cauz uhhhhh i am younger and competing in a contest with an 11 grader seems wrong dont u think??
i am an 8th grader !
hehehe
well uhh its nice talkin to u guys all of u who voted for me thanx!
hehehe
i appreciate it!
hahah