Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Stepping-stones: Making the next move to graduate school  (Read 832 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Stepping-stones: Making the next move to graduate school
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:08:02 AM »
The content below is from an article, Stepping-stones: Making the next move to graduate school, on the Georgia College web site.

Our love and congratulations go out to Granddaughter Brooke ( ZBrookester) Judie as she continues to amaze with her journey towards excellence in her education. 
We love you Brooke!  :heart:

While graduation marks the beginning of many Georgia College students’ careers, for some, it serves as a stepping-stone to their next big journey. Three students are taking the knowledge they gleaned from their undergraduate experience and going on to graduate school to pursue opportunities in higher education, STEM and leading in the non-profit world.

Senior Brooke Judie has spent much of her time in college thinking about how other people think.

She’s a philosophy and liberal studies major, concentrating in culture, religion, and society. But, it wasn’t until a professor mentioned her strength in writing could be used in philosophy, that Judie dove head first into the subject. Her first foray into philosophy was sitting in on Assistant Professor Dr. Jameliah Shorter’s class.

“I was trying to figure out what I would do with a liberal studies major. I saw her teaching philosophy, and it just changed my whole perspective,” said Judie. “She spoke a lot about how, in order to get context for these people’s ideas, we need to look at anthropology and history. It was a turning point for me, because I realized that this is what I could do with my major—I could teach.”

In the summer of 2018, Judie was selected for two summer programs at Penn State: Cultivating Underrepresented Students in Philosophy (CUSP) and Philosophy in an Inclusive Key Summer Institute (PIKSI.). 

“I was always interested in going to graduate school, but I never had the sort of experience that I did at CUSP,” she said. “They taught us a lot about applying, how to fill out applications, and how to negotiate for more money.”

In the program, Judie was also able to sit in on a graduate student, listening to them defend their dissertation. It further enflamed an already smoldering fire in Judie to go on to pursue her graduate degree—at none other than Penn State. 

Judie applied and was recently accepted to the philosophy Ph.D. program at Penn State, where she’ll begin fall 2019. Ultimately, Judie wants to teach philosophy at the college-level and continue research.

“I want to become a professor—I had made my mind up about that the first time I sat in Dr. Shorter’s class,” said Judie. “Hopefully, I can inspire other students like the professors in the Department of Philosophy and Liberal Studies have inspired me.”

This YouTube link is a marker, the video is live streaming as I'm posting this topic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:53:27 AM by Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: Stepping-stones: Making the next move to graduate school
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 05:35:05 PM »
Here are a few pic from Brooke's graduation day.

And here's her proud mom, Tyra.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: Stepping-stones: Making the next move to graduate school
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
Congrats, Brooke! You look just like you mom! :)