Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Yard Work!  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Yard Work!
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
This is not really hobbies or crafts, but it's close enough I guess.  :innocent:

When we moved to this old farm house the front yard was a total disaster and we had to completely rebuild it including removing a couple of butt ugly Koi ponds and planting all new grass. During that process we eventually removed all plantings except for three large evergreen type trees.
So... Kay is thinking that it's about time we started planting a few decorative plants. She gathered up about 25 or so over the past few weeks and today was the day.

Here's Kay pounding the mess out of that root ball to make sure the shrub knows it's supposed to extend it's roots beyond that ball.  :yikes:

After we finish along the fence there will still be plenty to go by the house.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: Yard Work!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:41 PM »
That post hole auger hooked to my little JD sure makes doing all those holes so much easier!  :bigteeth:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
I bet it does! It would for me! LOL

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
We've been making some progress!
It's so hot during the day that we are waiting until 6:30-7:00 in the evening to work on it... we learned our lesson the hard way on that. Especially Kay!  :yikes:

More pics in the gallery.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
What kind of bushes are they?

I've been considering planting some sweet red peppers. Lealer is growing some basil, chives and oregano. I might start up my Aero Garden again...

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »
The plants by the house are Azaleas and those by the fence are of the Dwarf Burning Bush variety.   

Euonymus alatus, or burning bush, is a foliage shrub native to Central China and Northeastern Asia. It is available in a number of cultivars, including Euonymus alatus "Compacta," also known as Euonymus alatus "Compactus." This strain, which is commonly referred to as dwarf burning bush or compact winged euonymus, is the most popular burning bush cultivar, according to Ohio State University.

Identification

Dwarf burning bush plants usually grow between 6 and 8 feet tall, with a 4- to 6-foot spread and a spreading, rounded form. Their simple, opposite, medium or dark-green leaves are usually between 1 and 3 inches in length, with slightly serrated margins. Corky wings grow along the stems. These plants change to pinkish-red or bright red during the fall depending upon whether they grow in shady spots or full sunlight. Dwarf burning bush plant produce tiny yellowish-green flowers in early summer. Reddish fruits replace the blossoms, but they are often hidden by the vivid fall foliage.
    Uses

You can often find dwarf burning bush plants growing as groupings or massings in home landscapes. They work well as shrub borders, informal or formal hedges or foundation plantings, as well as entryway accents or specimen plants. Homeowners value them for their attractive display of autumn leaves. The University of Connecticut website notes that dwarf burning bush plants usually provide reliable fall color, but they tend to be overused.

Read more: Description of a Dwarf Burning Bush | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8519520_description-dwarf-burning-bush.html#ixzz1O2VsXO8H

Here's a sample image of a Burning Bush... we'll not let ours get this high of course, but the look should be similar.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
Ah, I was just asking Lealer if she wanted an Azalea in a spot on our front lawn about 2 weeks ago. There was a small section bricked off with a bush in it but she removed it long ago. I might go buy one this weekend.

Offline Burgundyrose

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 01:49:37 AM »
Wow, the yard looks Great!  I am just now deciding what kind of look I want for my yard. I think we have decided to go tropical.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »
Lealer has bought a few potted herb plants and they are growing nicely. She'll plant them in the yard sooner or later.