Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Poll

Rank Our FamilyForum in the last 100 Sites you've Visited.

Top 80
0 (0%)
Top 50
0 (0%)
Top 25
2 (25%)
Top 10
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: December 05, 2009, 11:40:13 AM

Author Topic: BaseCamper Opinions?  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamper Opinions?
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
@ our BaseCampers; as you may know our FF is set for a major software upgrade after the Trek has finished and so it's only natural that we would be interested in your point of view about forums.

BaseCampers are travelers (of course) and as such undoubtedly see lots of different sites and forums and must therefore have opinions on what a 'good' site/forum should look like.
So... this topic is a solicitation for your opinion on how the FF ranks and what you would like to see changed or added to the site. Keep in mind that we are basically a family forum and are focused on a rather narrow group as possible members.

Please note that we are not looking for a pat on the back or an atta-boy, rather we want to know about stuff that you feel would improve your experience as you navigate the site, the way themes look or the way things work in general.

When we do this upgrade I want to make the site as friendly and easy to use as possible and your opinion will surely be helpful.  :bigthumb:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • Almost Good Enough to be Good for Something
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
Re: BaseCamper Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »
I didn't vote....the real test is what your contingency is comfortable with...we @ BaseCamp have to get used to every forum we visit . Most modern forums all have the same features...some are easier to find than others and they rotate....only thing that throws me off on this forum is the Tab layout as opposed to a NavBar ....but again ...whatever your people are used to using

BaseCamp Holiday Trek 2009 to Our FamilyForum Dedicated to Mallie

Offline TLD

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
I like a nav bar top & bottom myself..

Base Camp forum.

Offline Dataman

• BaseCamper
  • Madness takes its Toll. Have exact change ready!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
OK BF, I'm old, senile and easily confused.  :innocent: I'm not sure what I would be voting on in the poll or how it would help you. ???

Is it "sites" I've visited? Well, comparing you to Amazon, newegg, tigerdirect ... well ... it sucks.  :rofl: :belly: :rofl: But then I suppose your web staff is bit smaller than Amazon's.  :2funny:
If it's forums/boards, it's better than most run by a single person but it would be difficult to compare to EVGA's, BOINC's or nVidia's boards. ??? It's one heck of the lot better than "vanilla forums" for the BOINC science projects. riteon
Again ... not sure what I would be voting on or how it would help you.

:ff:

Offline mike047

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »
Nice clean layout.
mike

Gypsy cruncher

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
Nice clean layout.

Yep that's been my take from the first time I came here.

I'm a firm believer in "less is more".     Make it simple and easy to use for all skill levels.

Offline mousie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »
Not an answer to the thread question but...the part of me that dabbles with forum software was curious to see what sort of upgrades you were planning, and started lurking about where I found your thread on the blank pages.  We used to get that on an SMF forum I admin as well....reloading the forum software and rebooting server did nothing in our case.  The blank pages went away after recompiling php and mysql.  Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something you're still looking for answers on. :)

In response to the original question though...I tend to favor SMF, from both an admin standpoint and from a user standpoint.  The new RC out seems to work pretty well, and their converter did a pretty good job when I played with it, though I didn't have as many mods as here.  From a user standpoint, this forum/smf does a pretty good job at keeping your unread posts straight, which is a biggie for me.

Everyone has their preferences...one thing that throws me off is the first breadcrumb(included screenshot if you're unsure what I'm referring to) takes you to the portal home page instead of the forum index, but it may be that you guys intended that.

I imagine the "members online" on the front page, with all the avatars, doesn't look so full usually - right now it takes up a lot (relatively) of screenspace, but I could see for when it's just your smaller group it may be nice.

And just because....atta boy!  :disted:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:53:43 AM »
Thanks mousie & all.

One of my test forums is set up with the new SMF2 RC2 and TinyPortal v1.0 beta5, you can see it HERE.
That's what we'll be going to soon here on the live site and the reason I'm not doing the change now is the fear of risking a downtime running into at least several hours while the BC is still going on. Once we do the upgrade the look and feel changes won't be overly dramatic to a user, but to the admins it will make a tremendous difference what controls are available for manipulating to site.

TBH, I've never worked on the names of the breadcrumbs links but that's a good point and it will certainly be looked at now.

The members on line w/avatars is getting kind of cluttered because of so many members being on and I've already adjusted the time span to limit the number of avatars displayed, but maybe it's time to turn it off for a while.

Thanks for the input... this is what me is looking for.  :bigteeth:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline vaio

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:08:43 AM »
I like the invisionfree boards myself.
They are clean and simple but there are plenty of modification add-ons available for those that want them.

I find them easier to navigate than many.

Offline mousie

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
link not link link not link link not link link not link

^^^maybe a different color for the links^^^  :disted:  they kinda blend in with unlinked text