Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: New WiFi Printer  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
New WiFi Printer
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
My current printer (about 3 years old) can print wifi but needed an attachment to work. I never got the attachment cause I didn't need it. Fast forward to present...

Lealer got a Dell laptop last year (I think I made a topic here about it). The problem is that she always has to disconnect the usb cable from my PC to use one. I thought it would be nice for her to have her own so she can put it wherever and print from wherever. So, I got her this:

Epson Artisan 710
I connected it to my secured network and it worked very easily.  :danban:

It has a lot of nice features like duplex printing and sd card/usb stick access and prints great! We just picked it up yesterday...late delivery. :P

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: New WiFi Printer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
Sounds like a good printer.  :bigthumb:

I had taken a decision some months back that from now (then) on I was going to only buy wireless or WiFi types of equipment so that over time I could do away with at least some of all those ugly cables that always seem to be in the way. Much cleaner and much easier to move things around if need be.

We've made a little progress, but it's gonna take a while longer.  :08:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:35:34 AM by Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
Make sure you have equipment that has wired and wireless...in case you lose your wireless router access. ;) Should still work in connect to a home network though.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
Hmmm, might have to get a new printer. This one does not work with transparency paper. It does not recognize it. We'll have to replace it since she needs that for her business.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
That's a shame... hope you can get it sorted without having to spend a ton.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
Not going to spend a ton. LOL

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:03:23 PM »
Sounds like a good printer.  :bigthumb:

I had taken a decision some months back that from now (then) on I was going to only buy wireless or WiFi types of equipment so that over time I could do away with at least some of all those ugly cables that always seem to be in the way. Much cleaner and much easier to move things around if need be.

We've made a little progress, but it's gonna take a while longer.  :08:

For what it's worth I run a lot of wireless stuff but take it from me if at all possible it's still way better to have the stuff hard wired.

Wireless has a tendency to act up now and then plus little quirks manifest themselves that you may or may not have taken into consideration such as interference with the functionality of wireless mice especially when engaging in large file transfers.

Printer seems to disappear every now and then.

Not a biggie as I can get it back by rebooting but it's just a nuisance.

File transfer speeds are also way better hard wired.

I also have my documents folder that contains important data set to run an automatic backup with another PC on my home network and sometimes that doesn't work out as planned due to the connection being wireless between the two PC's.

Definitely handy when you have no other choice but you can't beat CAT6.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 02:45:53 AM »
I hear ya but being in a big old house and the positioning of the router would make things inconvenient, at best, for it to be wired and well placed. With wireless, she'll be able to print wherever she may be working without having to deal with the wires...not her strong suit. She'll also be able to take the printer to whatever room she wishes to work in...or even outside.

The biggest issue for us is that not many printers use transparency paper anymore...rather, they cannot detect it and will just spit it out without printing on it. I've had much success with HP's using it and will probably go back to those. Besides, I think they are the only ones who still make it besides Canon but they will not support its use on their printers. HP is kind of the same but most of their printer will print on it without any issues.

I do have a HP that works and uses it and a 2nd HP all-in-one. So, we do have a working scanner and transparency printer available. Currently, the problem is convenience of use and is why we want a wireless.

Signal strength is great in and around the house even without having a booster. We've had it for almost a week and have printed large image files without any problems. However, she does need transparencies for her home business. So, we'll probably take some transparency papers to the store with us and test them there. ;)

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • Almost Good Enough to be Good for Something
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »
...You'll probably have to go with a Laser to get transparencies ..and color ...$$$$$$$$

I've got a Samsung CLP 315 color Laser that should do Transys; it's a $200 printer..it's not wireless

To do Photo Paper you will definitely have to have an Ink Jet...I run a Lexmark X9350 (wireless)...another $200 printer...for low cost day to day mono printing I use a Lexmark E350d Laser, that does auto duplexing ( prints pages 1 & 2 on both sides of one sheet of paper) a $350 printer (6 seconds to first page and 2sec/page there after); but this E350d is NOT good for printing web pages, as the link colors wash out to be virtually unreadable; so the Samsung printer gets the bulk of my printer duties
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:55:45 AM by Sport »

BaseCamp Holiday Trek 2009 to Our FamilyForum Dedicated to Mallie

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
I already have 2 ink jets that do and paid no more than $130 or so brand new. Most HP printers do use transparency paper. You can use them without an expensive laser. They just want you to believe otherwise to get you to spend more money. Trust me. ;)

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
I don't know what kind of a computer setup you have at home but my printers aren't wireless though I can connect to them with my wireless laptop and print by means of the home network that I set up.

I simply connected them to the desktop PC and set them to be shared.

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
I didn't think of using them as shared. I had 2 PC's on a network together awhile back but she screwed up the other PC. So I never setup the network again. The other PC didn't need a printer so I never thought about it that way. Good idea.

Anyhoo, she is already sold on the idea of having her own printer. And since I already got her one (even though it's not exactly what is needed) she is looking for it. :P

Besides, it will keep her out of my hair. LOL

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:43:21 PM »
True enough but if you set the system up as shared you can both use either or in case they happen to have different features.

In my case one is an inkjet good at doing photos as well as print labels on DVD's while the other is a color laserjet which is much less expensive to do everyday printing on.