Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Black Screen of Death!  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Black Screen of Death!
« on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
My Lenovo keeps getting the BSOD!  :tickedoff:

Over on TinyPortal Mick and I have been talking about the Windows 10 updates and I've noted that my Lenovo has been getting the Black Screen of Death. So now, after some testing, it looks like a more likely issue on my laptop is overheating.

Here are some of the comments it the topic:
The download on mine got hung up at 1%!  :tickedoff:

Now I'll have to wait until my data 'bonus' time to continue the download. (2A-8A)
Ken.  Dunno what's happening, but noticed there was another Windows 10 update waiting for me yesterday. Wonder if this is in preparation for the big one at the end of this month.

Maybe, but I've not tried to keep up with the news.
Getting ready to do a restart on mine to see if it gets the black screen on its own and not just on the update restarts... it's normally left on all the while.
Well, that was a fun couple of hours!  :D

Looks as though the Windows 10 update restarts are not the cause of the issue, it is instead the restart that is the issue. So, what is the underlying cause?

My next line of testing is checking for heat problems and I've installed the RealTemp utility to start tracking the CPU cores to see if they might be running hot.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: Black Screen of Death!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:41 AM »
Yes, there has been a number of "updates" lately. I think they screwed up and found bugs in the updates and keep trying. LOL

First, check and make sure that all of your drivers are up to date. I was having issues with the Win updates until I realized my nvidia video card drivers were the problem. I guess win didn't have a proper update for them. Windows tries to have their own updates for mostly all available drivers for all hardware. Well, that is easier said than done and I think they just need to stay out of that dept and let the hardware companies handle it.

So, whenever you have problems with a win update and they just didn't totally botch things up, it is most likely a device driver conflict/issue. Go to Levono support and any other hardware support you may be using and see if you need updated drivers.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:54:18 AM »
In my research, the video drivers were one of the things that were mentioned a lot, so that's on my list of things to check.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
Things have gotten a lot worse ever since Windows decided to make an alliance with the hardware companies and create versions of their drivers with their help. The problem is that M$ adds their own code to the drivers for some reason that is probably not in our best interest. If you pay attention to the rollouts they are updated according to region as well as hardware updates. The biggest issue for them is that it is very hard to keep up with all of the hardware and software for the various hardware on the markets and the ones that keep coming out.

They are trying to be too controlling and imo think they can eventually take over the hardware market. Big mistake!

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »
Did you get this fixed?

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
Did you get this fixed?

Not really.
It still locks up on restarts, or startup's after being off. Just this AM it was trying to update windows and the download would not install, saying that my equipment was not compatible... this even though it has been running Windows 10 all the while. Research seems to indicate that having a thumb drive plugged in caused it to hang up. I ran out of my bonus data time period and had to stop, so tomorrow in the AM I'll give it another go, with the thumb drive unplugged of course.