Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: New BaseCamping Trek is Jumping Off!  (Read 22886 times)

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
Re: New BaseCamping Trek is Jumping Off!
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »
Though I do OC I keep it sensible and the board that died ran rock solid for over a year.   The USB controller went on it and I think it's just one of those things.

I've had pretty good luck with DFI as compared to the ASUS boards that kept causing me grief even though I was buying the upper end ones.    Bulging capacitors, never ending stability glitches, BIOS's that never addressed existing issues etc.

I've never had my PC's as stable as they are with DFI but then I do expect more given that this X48 board cost me $333 and my X58 boards were about fifty bucks over that.

If I can just find my receipt for that DOA board they'll fix it for me so I'm on the watch for it as another 9550 certainly can't hurt.  LOL

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Some hardware will die faster even when OC at a sensible rate anyways. Then again, sometimes hardware will just fail. LOL Been there a few times. but I lucked out with the case I bought. Although it was low priced, about $100, it has great air flow. I usually open the case and clean it out every 3-6 months. Well, I forgot and left it closed for about 9 months and there was virtually no dust! The last case I had I had to clean it every 3 months and there was quite a bit in it. LOL

I haven't tried DFI yet but almost bought one when I built this one. Maybe I'll give them a try next time.

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
Well right or wrong my opinion is that the hardware I buy costs me premium bucks and is targeting the OC crowd plus has warranties that are still in effect at OC settings.

I use only OCZ memory now for example and I specifically select items that are designed to run at the settings I'm shooting for.

The board that gave out is rated at 1600Mhz FSB and that's exactly where I ran it.

I've also never used a stock HSF assembly opting instead to go with the top rated after market items because I know I'm a cruncher and will be making the units work much harder than the average home user.

What began to annoy me was that my ASUS equipment tended to always be a bit flaky in the stability department whether it was OC'd or running stock and whether it was a low end board or a high end board.

By comparison my DFI boards are much more reliable and stable so I do hope the dead board was just one of those things which can happen to anything electronic rather than the norm.

As for cases I've been using the Centurion 534 for several years now and I'm quite happy with the airflow, design, and quality, especially for a case that I buy for under $80.

Mind you I still have to blow out the cases every two or three months but realistically you can't avoid having to do that when you are running the things under full load 24/7/365.

When you've got five 120mm fans running non stop in a case you are moving some air and dust and lint will accumulate.

Offline dl1000v

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
How come my badge say Base camper? Can I be an FF?! I feel homeless.    :belly:

Fixed it.  riteon
Thanks Yeti!

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
Well right or wrong my opinion is that the hardware I buy costs me premium bucks and is targeting the OC crowd plus has warranties that are still in effect at OC settings.
That's the one thing you have to look out for. If the warranty actually covers OC and to what extent. I've learned my lesson there. ;)

I have an XBlade case. It has 3 60mm fans (one on the left side, one on the back and one in front) and 2 psu fans. I thought about adding one more to the front of the case after reading an article in a PC mag (I forget which one at the time) but found that I didn't need it. Running 120mm fans will keep it cooler but will also pull more dust, etc. into the case, as you've pointed out. It should also run a bit quieter too cause the fans are moving slower.

Then again, I don't crunch because I run high level games, make videos and run Photoshop a lot and also OC. I don't want to stress it too much...not until I get more cash. LMAO

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »
Now I remember! The DFI board I wanted to try was a "lan party" or "lan boy" board, I forget the name. It was designed to host lan parties. At the time, I belonged to a linux user group (it didn't last long, LOL) that would meet at the local college on the weekends and we would lan to learn about linux or just play lan games.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
On cooling for towers:
You guys are into this stuff so you already know about all the high $ cooling solutions that are out there, but you may not have tried this one.

The 'Big Orange Box' option.  :bigteeth:

Back in the day when I was the real 'COF BigFoot' one of my members was having problems with cooling on some of his towers, especially those with AMD chips and he didn't want to spend for the high priced water coolers and the like.

So... his solution was to go to the local Home Depot and pick up one of their economy base cabinets, some AC filters small enough to fit the side of the cabinet, some dryer vent hose... etc.
By now you can see where he was going with his little Rube Goldberg setup.  :bigthumb:

I don't remember for sure what he used to move the air for the cooling, but I think it was a bathroom vent blower, in any case it worked great and his dust/trash buildup in his towers was very little.   
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »
I think that he would need some type of cooling unit to move the air and keep it cool because it is in an enclosed unit. You need a way to bring fresh air in and a way to push the hot air out. Otherwise too much heat would build up from the PC itself and fry the hardware components.

This is why I always tell people to keep the inside of their PC's clean. When the air holes get blocked from dust or it does not get enough air due to not enough space around the PC is when you start having problems and don't know why. Overheating can cause all types of unexplainable malfunctions. One day it works fine, the next it doesn't. You'll think it's a bug in your software or a virus when it isn't. ;)

btw, I notice that when I use the login at the top of the page it only keeps me logged in for 60 minutes then will log me out. This does not happen if I use the login menu button and select the "stay logged in" option.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »
The login thing must be just this theme, just checked the others and don't see the issue there. (some don't have the quick login in though)
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »
That's what I thought cause I don't remember it happening before.

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • Almost Good Enough to be Good for Something
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 01:44:57 PM »
And ONCE AGAIN Base Camp is off and running!!!!!
This time with a twist...

Base Camp has historically been about helping at World Community Grid teams. Over the past couple of years there have been discussions about expanding to other 'Boinc Projects', some of these discussion have been ...well heated!!
   During the last round table discussion we came to terms on generating an "Outpost" from Base Camp that would/could validate members of Base Camp to travel and help Teams and/ or Projects outside the WCG blanket; with Base Camp support. This agreement  was a Huge Step in diversification and expansion of  Base Camp and the Distributive Computing community as a whole entity!!

I'm not ashamed to say that I personally pushed extremely hard for this, and am proud to announce that the first outing for the new group "Base Camp Outpost" will be helping Team Phoenix Rising at Docking@Home!!

OKAY here is the story......

Unashamedly I'll say that SeriousCrunchers @ Docking has been my favorite venture for a couple of years now. Anthonmg (Tony) joined the SeriousCrunchers team @ Docking sometime last summer and generated literally millions of points for our team, propelling SeriousCrunchers @ Docking well up the stats!! All well and good...but during this Base Camp marathon over the past few months, I think Tony felt abandoned with all of us SCer's jumping ship to help Base Camp. Tony joined the team Team Phoenix Rising (TPR). TPR is in 2nd place, as a team with 50 members, at Docking, 5 million points behind Planet 3DNow, and gaining albeit slowly!

Here's the deal I struck with TPR...
  In recognition of the tremendous amount of help that Tony gave to SeriousCrunchers @ Docking; I'm going to take all of my production and use it to support TPR's quest for #1 team @ Docking, for 2 weeks!
I posted this at Base Camp, not asking for or expecting any help as I know Base Campers are tired and want to go home, but merely stating that I would be away from SeriousCrunchers@Docking for a couple more weeks...to my complete surprise I have Base Camp support on this venture ....therefore "OutPost will do it's first test run @ TPR!!!!

EDIT:
Instructions on how to join, compliments of TLD@ Base  Camp:

If you dont have BOINC download it here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php (Windows 32 bit only).

When you start BOINC it will ask you to attach to a project, or if you already run BOINC click on "add project" in basic view or "Tools" then "Attach to project" in advanced view.

Scroll to the project you want to join and click it, if the project isn't on the list copy the ulr from the trek post into the space at the bottom of the popup on your screen.

Click next then you will be asked if you are an existing member tick the "Not an existing member" put your email address in the top text box and a password in the bottom 2 text boxs click next. Remember the password because it will be your password for your account at the project you are attaching to.

Your web browser will open to the project join page, fill out the info for your account. Look for "Member of team" and click "Find a team" you will be taken to a search page, type the name of the team you want to join in the top text box and click find.
The team will show up at the top of the page under "Team Name" click the name and look for "Join this team" then click it and you will become a member of the team.

If you're already a member of the project go to the project home page and find "my account" and click on it, you will be asked for your email and password fill that in and click next.

Now you should be on your account page, look for "Member of team" and quit the team your at now. You will be asked to verify you want to quit the team click yes.
Now you will be returned to your account page, look for "Member of team" and click "Find a team" you will be taken to a search page, type the name of the team you want to join in the top text box and click find.
The team will show up at the top of the page under "Team Name" click the name and look for "Join this team" then click it and you will become a member of the team.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:42:44 PM by Sport »

BaseCamp Holiday Trek 2009 to Our FamilyForum Dedicated to Mallie