Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Time Change Today  (Read 1348 times)

Online Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Time Change Today
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:23:25 AM »
Today the time gets rolled back an hour and everything gets whacked for a day!   shocked003

At 2 a.m. Sunday, daylight saving (not savings) time comes to an end for most Americans. Good riddance. Turns out it’s a lot like Justin Bieber – way overrated.

People think that farmers like DST, but that’s a myth. Author Michael Downing points out his book “Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time” that farmers were the main group lobbying against the first peacetime imposition DST in 1966.

Who doesn’t love reliving their favorite moments? Turn your photos into a custom photo book that will be a hit this holiday.

It seems farmers don’t like the later sunrise created by DST and dairy cows adjust poorly to moooving the clock.

But DST helps conserve energy, right? No, that’s another myth, burst by a study by the California Energy Commission that found a reduction in energy use under DST of less than two-tenths of 1 percent.

And National Geographic reported that a 2008 National Bureau of Economic Research study of DST in Indiana “found that lighting demand dropped, but the warmer hour of extra daylight tacked onto each evening led to more air-conditioning use, which canceled out the gains from reduced lighting and then some.” As a result, electric bills increased slightly under DST.

The real beneficiaries of DST are the charcoal and grill industry, which lobbied successfully to tack a seventh month on to DST, and the candy companies, which pushed Congress to add an eighth month so they could sell more mini-Kit Kats in the days before Halloween.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: Time Change Today
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »
Most of the clocks I have adjust themselves so it's not that big of a deal for me anymore.

Offline Mick

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
Most of the clocks I have adjust themselves so it's not that big of a deal for me anymore.

Did ours on Sunday 29 October here in the UK.  Luckily only two clocks I have to change manually, one in our front room, and the one in my car.  It does amaze me that some of my work colleagues leave their car clocks a hour out for the whole year, just because they can't be arsed to learn how to change it. lol... 
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
Yeah, some people are like that...

Online Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »

Did ours on Sunday 29 October here in the UK.  Luckily only two clocks I have to change manually, one in our front room, and the one in my car.  It does amaze me that some of my work colleagues leave their car clocks a hour out for the whole year, just because they can't be arsed to learn how to change it. lol... 

Kay and I were out in her car yesterday and discovered that the clock in her car was saying that the year is 2012! Her car was not yet even manufactured then!!!  shocked003
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Lesmond

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
I had forgotten to change my clock in the car after we change the clocks back  shocked028