Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Product Updates  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Product Updates
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:56:40 AM »
Why do product updates have to be so big (massive!) these days???!!!  :censored:

A few days go I installed a driving game, Grand Turismo Sport, to my PS4 and it had an update that was over 40gigs, some that's still waiting to be downloaded. And now comes the Garmin DriveSmart 60LMT with over 6gigs of update data needing to be downloaded!
 So, this is actually a big problem because the device only has about 1.6gigs of free space on the 7.2gig(8gig?) hard drive... turns out you need to add a 32gig micro SD card to get the most possible space. Luckily there was one laying around unused that could be pressed into service.
This was, btw, big news to me because nowhere in any of the documentation that I've read was there any mention that you needed to add HDD space so that your maps could be updated.

Some interesting notes on the download process, a desktop utility, Garmin Express, must be installed to your PC and when first started it takes over your computer so that nothing works, not Firefox, not your email and not Windows explorer. And, for the longest time the dl indicator stayed on about 1.5 hours remaining even though you could clearly see progress. After a few minutes it settles in and slowly everything starts to work.

The download was lots quicker than expected, it was started at about 3:30AM and it has just finished @4:54AM.  :thumbup:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: Product Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
Yeah, if you get any decide that can use a micro SD card I suggest you get an extra one for it. I try to keep several extras around just in case as well as a couple of extra usb drives. They are not expensive and cost less if you get a pack with a few in it instead of just one. They tend to have them on sale of and on and that's when I get them.

I also have Garmin Express but it doesn't take over my PC. Everything else works although the net may slow down a bit while it's updating.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »
It Died!!!  shocked028

The damn thing just turned off and never came back.  :'(

But then... Garmin to the rescue!
Turns out that I didn't actually buy this GPS from Garmin as I had originally thought. The FactoryOutletStore.com only pretends to be a Garmin affiliated outlet, but it is not, so when I called Garmin to do a return the very nice lady told me the sad news. The FactoryOutletStore.com site sold me a 2 year warranty on this refurbished unit that I thought was for a Garmin factory warranty, but was not of course. So, trying to get coverage from the outlet store may have worked, but the very/extremely nice lady at Garmin said, "No worries, we will take care of the issue for you Mr. K, we'll send you another unit at no charge and you can send us the dead unit".

Me is loving on Garmin now.   :smitten:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Mick

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:29:40 PM »
That's great customer service from Garmin then.  Nice one Ken.   :thumbup:

I also have a Garmin, but can't remember what model it is.  :-[
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Camera Craniums Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 04:51:21 AM »
Me three. LOL I had a TomTom and it got old so I got a new one a couple of years ago. I got the Garmin cause of the price and lifetime updates.