Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Acer Aspire One  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Acer Aspire One
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Check out my review of my new NetBook computer.
The Aspire One from Acer is a Netbook I fell in love with almost as soon as I got my hands on it? almost!

?Almost?, and there in lies the story. :08:

Read More Here.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:01:29 AM by GPa Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: Acer Aspire One
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:58:34 PM »
As long as it works for what you need it for, that is what matters. :)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Ubuntu Seriously Rocks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »
For the past few weeks my little Acer Netbook has fallen into disuse because Windows XP Home takes up most of the 8gig solid-state HHD and it had become so sluggish and slow and then when the wireless network started freezing up I just stopped using it.

But today I'm thinking that it's a really big waste to have that nice little Acer sitting there not being used so I started trying to reload XP Home but when it gave me all kinds of grief XP was dumped and Ubuntu Netbook Remix was loaded... what a difference!  :08:
What is Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Loads fast, restarts are smooth and clean with no hangups and the programs work fast and easy. So far the only thing missing was a codex for MP3's and that was an easy fix once I remembered how to do the install.  :disted:

And speaking of networking, it found and loaded my wireless network with no problem and it connection is faster in Ubuntu.

Using it for this post.
Me-R a happy boy.  :happy:

Offline Lesmond

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
sounds kool Ken, glad you got it sorted  :bigthumb:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »
Netbooks USUALLY have less space, memory, etc. than laptops because they are only designed to surf the net. Laptops are supposed to take the place of a regular desktop but also be portable.

That version of Ubuntu is designed to be fast by not including all of the usual app, etc. in the other distros of Ubuntu. Most versions of linux can be used or compiled to run on PC's/notebooks with less than that space or memory. ;)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
As mentioned in my original article this one is certainly no hot-rod.  :disted:
Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
1 GB DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM Single Channel Memory, (512MB onboard, 512MB soDIMM slot)

But, overall I've had no complaints because it was accepted going in that this little Acer was not going to preform on the same level as a desktop, or a full-fledged laptop. So except for WinXP Home taking up most of the 8gig solid-state HDD and thus causing it to be somewhat slow it was OK, but then it started to get sluggish and then the wireless started to freeze up so that's when I finally said enough to WinXP.

This Ubuntu Netbook Remix was easy to install and everything worked out of the box except for drivers for the MP3's and that only gave me a small issue because it had been so long sense I had worked with Linux.
BTY... I've always liked Ubuntu and this distro seems to be the best I've used so far.  :bigthumb:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »
With linux you will not get that sluggishness that you do with Windows when your hd starts filling up. This is because it uses different file systems that do not get fragmented like Windows does.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »
I've always liked the Linux concept of a free open source OS, but in real world practice it has mostly fallen short for the 'average' user because you were not able to just use it, but instead must learn to be a programmer of sorts.

Recent versions have become lots easier to use however, so I'll likely stick with this install, especially so because this install is working so much better than the WinXP was.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
The versions today are much more user-friendly and some need little or no knowledge at all. Ubuntu is a good example of this. I remember the old versions...you needed a degree from 8 years of college to install it. LOL

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:22:27 AM »
.... this is a copy of my original article about the Acer, I'm playing around with WordPress, Windows Live Blog and Windows Live Writer and this is just a part of that exploration process.   :disted:

Acer Aspire One

clip_image002

The Aspire One from Acer is a Netbook I fell in love with almost as soon as I got my hands on it? almost!

?Almost?, and there in lies the story. disturbed_thumb

It all started when GMa Kay decided that because I like the Acer entry in the 9? Netbook category of small laptops she would get me one for my B-Day.
So I order one from Sams Club online because their price is about $50 less than anywhere else and then I waited five days for it to arrive. So, it arrives and I?m all excited and I?m taking it out of the box and getting it all hooked up with the battery and the charger and starting it up and it only boots up as far as the WinXP splash screen and hangs up there.
Like you see in the picture above.

I?m thinking that maybe it?s doing that because the battery isn?t charged up yet, so I leave it on the charger until it has fully charged and the try again? same thing. So I mess around with it for the rest of that day, going online to research the issue, trying lots of different stuff and nothing works. I even tried hooking up an external DVD and running a Linux ?Live DVD? that lets you run the operating system (Linux) directly from the DVD and by-passing much of the PC hardware including the hard drive. That worked, the DVD booted up all the way and that was telling me that there was a hardware issue, like maybe a bad hard drive.

So next day I spend about an hour on the phone with someone at tech support with no solution to the issue and that?s when I decided that it would be best just to return it and that?s what I did, took it to my local Sams and returned it.
I later discovered that Sams Club had sent me a refurbished model? more on that later.

Next there was a two day wait until Sams Club did a credit back to my card for the total cost; they were good enough to give back all costs including shipping. So then finally I was able to go to one of our local PC stores and pick one up, for a larger cost of course.
Intrex - NC Computer Store and Computer Repair

While at the store the staff let me take the Acer out of the box and do a startup on it just to be sure that it was going to boot to the desktop? didn?t want to get all the way home before finding out about that little bit of info!
That?s when I discovered that Sams Club had sent me a ?refurbished? model!
When the Acer was removed from its box there in the Intrex store I could see that it had a nice foam protector over the monitor screen and also on the Touchpad? but the Acer that was sent by Sams Club was missing those protectors! Now if you are in a factory making those netbooks you don?t skip those foam protectors so that tells me that someone took them off at some later time, ergo? Refurbished!

Foam Protectors:
clip_image004_thumb

Now that we?re past all the drama maybe we can get down to working with this Acer Aspire One and see how we?re gonna like it!

Here?s my review after working with it for a couple of days.
The keyboard is decently sized, firm and easy to use. Now in no way can it compare with my big, honking, Microsoft ?Natural Keyboard Pro? with its almost two foot wide spread, in fact the Pro keyboard is actually larger that the whole Acer Netbook!
But although it will take some getting used to because of the stark differences in size and layout, I?m finding the Acer keyboard works just fine. I?m already starting to get accustomed to the feel of it and while I?ll never be as good with it as with my large Pro keyboard, that?s not a big concern because most of my ?serious? typing will still be done on my desktop PC anyway.

Specifications:

Processor and Memory:
Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
1 GB DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM Single Channel Memory, (512MB onboard, 512MB soDIMM slot)
* Now it?s not some Hot Game Machine but the processor and Ram are plenty good enough for this small machine.

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:

16GB Total Storage Capacity: 16GB consists of 8GB SSD (Solid State Drive) and 8GB SD? (Secure Digital Card)
* 16GB of hard drive space sounds awfully small by today?s standards, what with hard drives now available in the Terabyte and larger range, but it?s actually an OK size because to my mind this little Acer is not about storage space, it?s about having a PC that?s lightweight, easy to handle and use and clean and simple when it comes to what?s on the hard drive. The first thing I did was start removing programs so that it could be as lean and fast as possible and then I added another 8GB SDHC card which increased the storage to 24GB and that?s more than enough for my needs.
But what if I need more storage space? SDHC cards are getting less expensive, so are USB thumb drives and a USB hard drive with several 100GB can be had for less than $100? not sounding like an issue to me.
And, because its networked to my desktop systems that gives me well over two Terabytes of additional space.

Supported Media:
Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
Secure Digital? (SD) Card
MultiMediaCard (MMC
Reduced-Size Multimedia Card (RS-MMC)
Memory Stick?(MS), Memory Stick PRO? (MS PRO)
xD-Picture Card? (xD)
* Everything that I?ve tried so far works great. The transfer rate on the SDHC cards seems very fast.

Audio, Video and Graphics:

Integrated Intel? Graphics Media Accelerator 950
2 Built-in Stereo Speakers & High-Definition Audio Support
0.3 Integrated Acer Crystal Eye Webcam
* The display is great. The screen is really small of course, measuring only 8.9?, but don?t let that fool you, the Acer makes up for that small size with the best display I?ve seen on any PC to date.
* The built-in speakers suck? so far this is the only real complaint I?m having about the Acer, but I?m not going to complain too loudly because with a Netbook this small you have to realize that there?s no way they could include speakers big enough to give a quality sound.
However, the sound card is very much acceptable! When I plug in my economy version Plantronics headset the sound quality is very good and plays music with a very clean and clear delivery.
* I was really surprised at the quality of the webcam, it gives a sharp clear picture that?s almost photo quality and it?s at least as good as some of my early digital cameras were. The frame rate is a little slow so it jerks a little but not really badly and reception on the other end of an over the internet video conversation using Skype seems to work really good with the person on the other end expressing satisfaction with the quality of the video and the audio.

Connectivity:

Acer InviLink? 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified?
* Works great on my home network, when testing it on PC PitStop the upload/download speeds were about the same as my desktop results have been.

Ports/Slots:

3 - USB 2.0 Ports Windows? really handy for hard drives, DVD?s & thumb drives.
1 - VGA Port
1 - Headphone/Speaker/Line-Out Jack? sound quality is very good on my headset.
1 - Microphone-in Jack
1 - Ethernet (RJ-45) Port
1 - AC Adapter Connector
1 - Kensington Lock Slot

Monitor:

8.9" WSVGA Acer CrystalBrite? TFT LCD (1024 x 600)
* About the best display I?ve ever seen.

Power:

Battery Life Approximately 2.8 hours
* It works OK with the battery that comes with the unit, but it would nice to have one of the longer life batteries that are available, trouble is they cost lots of $$$.

Operating System:

Windows XP? Home with Service Pack 3
* I like XP, always have.

Dimensions and Weight:

Dimensions: 1.14?H x 9.8?W x 6.7?D
Weight: 2.18 lbs.
* Nice size, nice weight, it is easy to handle and carry around.

Color:

Sapphire Blue? Its OK? brown (copper) would have been better.

Conclusions:
Having practically no prior experience with Netbooks or Notebooks, with the exception of using a 15? Notebook for a few days last year for the Hamrick Family Reunion, my expertise is rather limited to say the least so my conclusions may need to be reevaluated in time but so far I?m very much impressed with the Acer Aspire One. There were some short comings, mainly with the speakers, but I don?t really see that a negative because with a unit of this size you?ve got to expect some trade-offs and it?s just not designed to be in the same league as a Laptop costing 100?s of dollars more.

Good quality, works good? I like it.

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
Sounds like you're going to enjoy your addition.   riteon

Since I'm not sure what all your plans are for it just let me caution you that laptops can get annoyed if crunching too hard.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »
I don't think this one would be very good at crunching.  :08:

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
Yeah I just wanted to make sure you didn't fry it.

I've put WCG on some limited hardware but I modified the settings (50% CPU) to keep heat under control.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 07:56:54 AM »
I fried the last PC I built overclocking it. I don't do that any more. LOL

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »
I fried the last PC I built overclocking it. I don't do that any more. LOL

Don't know if that is possible on this Netbook, but I'm not going there even if it is.  :08: