Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: What country do you think the "Hamrick" name originated from?  (Read 19419 times)

Offline bridgetthamrick (OP)

What country do you think the "Hamrick" name originated from?
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Hi everyone!
I have been doing some research on the Hamrick name because I am trying to dig deep down to find out more about our heritage.
An interesting story that happened not long ago was when my husband and I took a vacation to the east coast to visit our familes in NY, NJ, and NC.  This was a road trip I will never forget. One day in particular, my husband and I visited Philadelphia to see the University that he attended as well as some historical sites. 
We were a little "thirsty" from playing tourist all day and stopped at a bar to have a beer.
The bar wasn't packed at all but it had a cozy atmosphere. I forgot the name of the bar but what i remember most was the bartender.
He was blonde and had an accent that I couldn't quite figure out.
Being the curious person that I am, I asked "where are you from?"
He said he was from Ireland!  I was like, "really?"
I told him that I was curious if I could be Irish.
When i told him my last name, Hamrick, he began telling a story about how that name originated from western Ireland, and used to be Hamrock.
Since then I have decided to visit western Ireland. My husband and I are planning a trip there in March.
However, is this really where my ancestors lived?
Does anyone have any information that may be helpful in filling out this mystery?
I am all ears.
Alojah,
Bridgett Hamrick

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: What country do you think the "Hamrick" name originated from?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:05 PM »
Bridgett, you'll find conflicting opinions on the historical origins of the Hamrick family and many of those conflicting opinions are held by descendants of Hoyle and Bulah Hamrick. (your G-G-Grand parents)

My ideas and opinions have been shaped by the research that my mother Mallie and her sister Martha started decades ago and is still being carried on today by my Sister Yvonne Kimbrell-Gray. The research that they conducted over all those years has been well documented in many places and in many forms including courthouse records, US census records, ships logs and more.

Much misinformation has been injected into the currently popular beliefs of some family members because of books that were written over the years that detailed or repeated false or misleading data on blood lines and places of origin. The research conducted by Mallie, Martha and Yvonne has been ongoing for close to 50 years and I have complete trust in their findings. One book that caused a lot of the misinformation to be spread was a inaccurate accounting of the families origins that your G-G-Grand Father Hoyle had read that was written by a man who was careless in his research and in fact even had Hoyle listed incorrectly in his book. The book listed him as Ira Hoyle when in fact his name was Ira Hoyle Hamrick... but grandpa believed the story anyway. Mallies research later proved the book to be completely off base in the details of where the family came from.

In This Topic I posted an excerpt from an article written by Mom and Yvonne back in 2005 about 'Our First Hamrick Forefather in America', Hans George Hamrick. In the article she detailed how he left his native Germany in 1730 and arrived in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1731 and married a lady named Nancy Cook and had 24 children.
You can read Mallies original article HERE.

This image is a photocopy of the ships log for the ship 'Snow Louther' that Hans George traveled on as he came to America, you'll see his last name listed as Hamerich and you'll also see his oldest son Paul listed in the 'Under Sixteen' category. Mom tells me that according to her research Paul being listed that way probably means that he was very close to 16 years old because they tended to not list younger children in the ships logs and manifests. 

Over the next weeks and months we will be posting more family history information including several documents that are being researched by Yvonne now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:57:33 PM by GPa Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
Thanks for the information that you provided Ken and thanks to all of those who have done such great research. So my GG Grandfather is Hoyle and Beulah Hamrick.  Has anyone got some family trees started that can give me an idea of aunts, uncles, etc.. kids related to Hoyle and Beulah?  Starting a family tree can be so complicated when I am still trying to get the information straight. This is fun though and I am enjoying it. I just want to make sure I get my information correct. thanks all for your help :)
Aloha

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »
You are right Bridgett, it can be confusing... especially so when you start to hear or read accounts that offer different versions.

Here are some links that will give you some more information:

http://www.thedrake.org/gray/Westbroo.html
This 'Westbrook Database' was posted by Yvonne back in October 1999 and has lots of our relatives listed and gives some good detail on the relationships.

http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/pedigree.aspx?tid=4764560
This is Mallie Hamrick-Kimbrell's page on the Ancestry.com site and it has an excellent 'Pedigree' chart that includes your dad Vincent, grand-dad Senior (Jim) and their family tree lines. The only problem with this site is that you must register an account with them and it costs a lot... however, they do have a 14 day free trial, so if you do the trial you can find a lot of info in those 14 days.

Here are some pages from the one I set up for mom (Mallie).
You can see better copies in the Family History & Genealogy album in the FamilyForum gallery.

Vincent Hamrick Pedigree:

Senior (Jim) Hamrick Pedigree:

The two people who can give you the most and best information is my mom Mallie and sister Yvonne because they have researched and studied the family history for so many years. If you check in Mallie's Profile you can get her email address and send her a note, she would love it.  :bigthumb:
Yvonne is there with her so you can contact her through Mom.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »
Hi Ken, where is Vincent on his pedigree above? We can add in myself, Jessi, and possibly two (or more) seedlings to the tree :)

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 02:52:49 PM »
Hey Bridgett

In the chart above your post you can see him in the list on the left side:

Here are some of the relationships for his Dad, your Grandpa Jimmy:

I'm not able to add to these charts, or make new ones because you need $20 per month a subscription  to do that.  :yikes:

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
Oh I didn't know sperm donor's name was "Ira Vincent Hamrick".. My mom told me it was Vincent Irie Hamrick and that is the name of his profile on the NC Dept of Corrections website.. Ok neat thank you.. I wish Ancestry.com didn't charge monthly rate to subscribe.. They have to make money somehow i suppose :) Aloha, and once again "sunshine your way"