Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

Yesterday at 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

Yesterday at 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

Yesterday at 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

Yesterday at 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

Yesterday at 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Dream Menu  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Dream Menu
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
Been giving the 'Dream Menu' mod a trial run the past few days and I'm liking the way it works a lot.

It gives you the ability to add custom dropdown links and sub-links to the top navigation bar and that is helpful in limiting the number of buttons on the top bar. It can get real cluttered in a hurry.  :08:

So a new version came out and I though that updating was just the thing to do. Well, it broke the forum!  :thud:

I did a quick hack to get the forum back online, but there are some messed up files, so over the next couple of days you may see some spots of downtime as I repair everything. Been needing to do this for a couple of weeks anyway.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: Dream Menu
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Still working on the Dream Menu mod and it's still having issues and breaking the forum.  :up2some:

I'm determined to get it to work, but will try to have the least amount of downtime possible.  :bigteeth:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
For now version 1.0 has been reinstalled... because it works.  :bigthumb:
You can see the results in the 'Links' and 'My Profile' links it the top navigation bar.

There are more links that will be added later, if you see any missing, or have a link that you would like to see included let me know.

Offline ZarPrime

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
Ken, quick question.  Where does this Mod come from?  I can't find it over on SMF and I want to experiment with it.

Jim :beg:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »
Ken, quick question.  Where does this Mod come from?  I can't find it over on SMF and I want to experiment with it.

Jim :beg:

Here ya go Jim:

Actually there are two mods that I'm trying to use here on the FF, 'Dream Menu' and 'Add or Remove buttons'.
Dream Menu = http://arantormods.com/index.php?topic=45.0
Add or Remove buttons = http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2650

Here's a quote of my post on BlocWeb:
Dream Menu adds some files to the theme directory, but is not doing any theme edits. The files that it dose edit are; "$sourcedir/Admin.php" and "$sourcedir/Subs.php".

The mod cannot move, or remove existing links, but it can add links as primary buttons and it can add 'sub-links' under any of the primary links on the top navigation bar. The 'Links' button (as seen here in Dartmoor) was added using DM as were all of the sub-links in the 'Links' dropdown menu. And, if you look at the 'Gallery' link you'll see two TP Article links in that dropdown that were added using DM.

There is another mod, "Add or Remove buttons" that I would like to use because it can actually remove some of the buttons from the top navigation bar, example; Calendar, Help, Profile, etc. But, I would only be able to use it to good effect if the dropdown menus that the Dream Menu can produce are available so that those links that were removed from the top bar by Add or Remove could then be displayed it those dropdown menus.

My goal here is to reduce the number of main or primary links that displayed in the top navigation bar because the more links that are displayed the greater the chance that the top nav bar starts to break out, spill over or simply look mis-aligned in some way. So as an example; if there was one top bar link for 'Profile' and then under it a dropdown sub-menu for 'My Messages' etc that would reduce the number of links displayed on the top bar while still making them available in a dropdown.

Because only two themes are effected by this it is not a huge deal and putting a lot of time and effort into a fix would not be worthwhile... especially so because very few sites would put it to use, maybe just me.  :o

... still it would be nice to have these controls available, so the theme system you mentioned sounds good to me Bloc.  ;)

Offline ZarPrime

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
Thanks Ken. :bigthumb:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »