Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: XAMPP... the trials and tribulations!  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
XAMPP... the trials and tribulations!
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
Lately I've been doing a lot of code testing as I give Underdog a hand on his Arcade converter project and although we have several 'test sites' attached to the FamilyForum I got to thinking that I needed to set up an XAMPP server. Now I've only dabbled around with one of those a very small bit, so there was a nice little learning curve as I tried to install the server but it's finally up and running now on my desktop PC. One thing that caused me lots of grief was the OS's on both of them, Vista on one and Win7 on the other. XAMPP didn't want to work correctly on those OS's for some reason, so my thinking was, "No problem, we can just run the server on WinXP."

So, the next step was to try and setup a dual boot on one, or both PC's but that didn't work out very well either! I've setup and used dual boots for operating systems several times before, but for some reason it just would not work this time around. Maybe it's the Vista and Win7 systems and the fact that I've not worked on them before... there is a big difference between using an OS on your PC and actually working on the OS.  :up2some:

So then came the least desirable, 'Microsoft Virtual PC', it works OK and you can run multiple OS's on your single PC, in fact I have 5 installed that can be run from this desktop, (XP, Win7, W2K, Linux and iDeneb) but it's very sluggish and so I didn't really want to go that way.

And then! During all that thrashing around on the internet trying to find solutions this site popped up where the guy posted a video how-to and while watching it he showed how to get past the error that was showing for me.

And it's just in the nick of time... Just got a PM from UD about a converter he wants me to test.  :2thumbs:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Lesmond

Re: XAMPP... the trials and tribulations!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
I have used a few of these server before, but never came across that issue with vista.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
I have used a few of these server before, but never came across that issue with vista.

It may have just been my approach, it has been a long time since my last time for using an internal/intranet server.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:26:32 AM »
Another problem with programs like those is that you may have different issues from that of a real web server because you may not have all of the binaries and modules installed as the web server does. This depends on exactly what modules are called/used by software you are testing/running.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »
Well, it looks like I didn't really get it working right on my Vista PC after all... all it will give me is the 'Index of file' page and only loads a blank page when trying to go to the /phpMyAdmin/ control page.  :thud:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »
It works fine on the other PC?

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
It works fine on the other PC?

On the laptop (Win7) in works OK, but on my desktop (Vista) the XAMPP cp is not starting Apache.

And, without Apache running it will only show me a blank page when trying to look at '/localhost/phpmyadmin/' or any of the related pages. I've been researching around the internet and have tried suggested fixes that deal with port calls by Skype and missing or corrupt files in the XAMPP folders but so far nothing is helping.

The laptop works OK, but I'm really wanting this to work on my desktop because this is where I like to do all of my work.  :up2some:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
And that is weird due to the fact that it is the "Apache Friends Edition".

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »
Fixed it!!!  :yahoo:  :danban:

Finally found enough tips to set me on the correct path, here's what solved it:

... this quote from Netshine Software.
OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down

Which mean that port 80 is used by another process, but when I tried to look at this port using Nirsoft CurrPorts (great freeware tool btw, better than netstat) I found that it was used by system with no PID or anything, which of course I interpreted as being used by a windows service, and I wasn't wrong, I open the service manager (right click over computer / manage / services ) and I tried to look at the running services quickly who can be the possible reason, and I found that it was

World Wide Web Publishing Service

I stopped it and refreshed Currports, and bang no more process using the port 80, so I launched XAMPP (apache) again and it run like a charm, you can set the service to run Manual instead of Automatic, to avoid this port conflict again, this service is required only if you are using your computer as a IIS server or for some remote administration purposes.

When I followed those points my system showed the same thing, the 'World Wide Web Publishing Service' was using port #80 that Apache was trying to see and so stopping the service freed up the port and now Apache runs and I can access the pages.

Me is now a happy boy.  mwalk

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »
LOL, glad you've got it going.

I'm going to start testing to SMF 2 in a few moments...after I get something to eat.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »
...after I get something to eat.

I replied to that comment over on SMF Arcade.  :belly:

Offline Underdog

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:30 AM »
I tried this application after seeing you mention it at SMFAC and I am not really fond of it.
I find wampserver and easyphp more user friendly than that thing.. not my preference for sure.

Besides, I have witnessed some strange mysql behavior using xampp that I mentioned on SMFAC and I'd like to know if the same occurs for you.
(prior to my conversion tool)
After a fresh forum install followed up by e-arcade... mysql variables show 2 sets for e-arcade?! I'll run that again but I don't understand why it is creating 2 sets for 1 modification.
One set has a prefix of '_earcade' and the other '_arcade' ... So far this behavior only occurs for me using xampp but I am not able to look at everyones e-arcade db variables to know if this behavior is common...       
I will try this again when I get home from work today.

Is this the app you have been using for the past 2 or 3 tests that have failed?
Can you run a test with your previous setup?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:41:07 AM by Underdog »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 05:55:31 AM »
Only the last test that was posted was run on XAMPP... This Test and the backup for it was the only one, all previous tests were run on the online test site.

Did see those behaviors you mentioned, but thought that was how it was supposed to be.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:27:11 AM by Ken »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »
The 'World Wide Web Publishing Service' that was keeping XAMPP from running comes back if your computer is restarted, so I'm in the process of turning it off for good... now I just need to remember that it's off in case something else stops working.  :yikes:

... from Microsoft Support:
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:

* The FTP publishing service was installed and running before you upgraded to Windows Vista.
    * You ran the IIS Lockdown Tool before you upgraded to Windows Vista.

In this scenario, the Windows Vista upgrade logic assumes that the FTP publishing service has a dependency relationship with the World Wide Web publishing service. Therefore, the Windows Vista Setup program installs and starts the World Wide Web publishing service as part of the upgrade.

Note If you do not run the IIS Lockdown Tool before you upgrade to Windows Vista, all the IIS services are turned on after the upgrade. However, the services are stopped.
-----------------------
To resolve this problem, turn off the World Wide Web publishing service in Windows Vista. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
      Collapse this imageExpand this image
      Start button
      , type programs and features in the Search box, and then click Programs and Features under Programs.
   2. Click Turn Windows features on or off in the Tasks pane.
   3. Expand Internet Information Services, click to clear the World Wide Web Publishing Service check box, and then click OK.

Alternatively, you can stop and disable the World Wide Web publishing service in the Services item in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
      Collapse this imageExpand this image
      Start button
      , type services in the Search box, and then click Services under Programs.
   2. Locate and then double-click World Wide Web Publishing Service in the list of services.
   3. On the General tab, click Stop under Service status.
   4. In the Startup type list, click Disabled, and then click OK.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
I tried this application after seeing you mention it at SMFAC and I am not really fond of it.
I find wampserver and easyphp more user friendly than that thing.. not my preference for sure.

Besides, I have witnessed some strange mysql behavior using xampp that I mentioned on SMFAC and I'd like to know if the same occurs for you.
(prior to my conversion tool)
After a fresh forum install followed up by e-arcade... mysql variables show 2 sets for e-arcade?! I'll run that again but I don't understand why it is creating 2 sets for 1 modification.
One set has a prefix of '_earcade' and the other '_arcade' ... So far this behavior only occurs for me using xampp but I am not able to look at everyones e-arcade db variables to know if this behavior is common...       
I will try this again when I get home from work today.

Is this the app you have been using for the past 2 or 3 tests that have failed?
Can you run a test with your previous setup?

Just checked the XAMPP db and it is showing tables left over from the eArcade:

It also shows the same on the online test forum:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:29:37 AM by Ken »