Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: File Ownership Issues.  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
File Ownership Issues.
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
The old 'file ownership' issue has popped up again, just tried to change out the logo for Pandora and the system blocked me.  :cry2:

Sent in a support ticket to Frank, hopefully he will sort it out soon.  :bigthumb:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
Re: File Ownership Issues.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
Fixed!  :danban:

Frank works fast.  :2thumbs:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
That is because your server using 777 permissions for files and folders so you will have chown issues:

http://wiki.smfarcade.info/SMF_Arcade/FAQ#File_Permission_Issues_-_chmod.2Fchown

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
The old servers were set at 755, but he has just changed us to new servers... don't know what he setting is now.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
Has to be 777. 755 server do not have chown issues...only 777 do. 755 server have chmod (file/folder permission) issues. If he can give you ssh access you can fix those yourself with one command for folders and one for files...if you were on a 755 server. Takes only 2-3 minutes.

But since you are on 777 you will "usually" not have permission issues and will only have ownership issues. :P It's a trade-off but I'd rather have 755...can fix it myself very easily and faster. :)

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
It was actually having both issues... I think?

I could not change the chmod settings plus the system would not let me change, edit or replace files.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »
When you have ownership issues you cannot change permissions or move files or much anything else. Linux has strict permissions for folders and files as well as programs, etc. When you lose ownership it sets to "nobody" which means no one owns it. Even root (admin) cannot use it but can change the permissions to enable users to use it including themselves. You must to have root access or get someone that has it (your hosting) to do it for you each and every time. 777 servers are not user-friendly for those who do a lot of testing, installing/uninstalling, etc. The reason is that you have to ask your hosting and wait on them to do it each and every time you do something. This is frustrating to the hosting as well as yourself and is probably the number one reason why people change hosting. They blame the hosting for this when it is not really their fault.

777 servers are also not "generally" more secure as 755 ones, although some will beg to differ. 777 servers have to beef up security and 777 means full access to the files and folders while 755 is more strict and does not allow full access. If a 777 server gets hacked, the hacker can "theoretically" gain access to ALL of your folders and files. Using 7555, will only "generally" give them access to the folder and files where they gained access. This means the all of your folders/files will usually not be compromised...only a portion of them.

Why/how does this happen? I have no freakin' idea!  :2funny: I've never bothered to look it up cause I've never gone that far using a linux server, root-wise. You can't do anything about it if you are not root anyways and I doubt you can even if you are root (not too sure about the last and need to do more digging). This is also why I prefer 755 permission servers. The biggest problem is chown (permissions) which can be easily changed yourself via ssh (really fast, a few seconds, one command for folders and one for files) or ftp (very slow and tedious). SSH doesn't make sense to use on a 777 server cause they will only give you a "jailed" ssh account which means limited access...can move files, etc. but cannot chown which is a root command. In other words, you will not be able to change ownership anyways.  :thud:

If you are using 777 servers and do not lose ownership you do not have to worry about permissions as they will automatically change to the correct ones, most of the time and if the folder/files do not have chown issues.

If you are using 755 servers you will always have to change permissions and should do it before installing or uninstalling any mods. Otherwise, something may not have the correct permissions to be edited corrected by smf when installing/uninstalling mods.

Lesson over...time for a pop quiz!!!

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:11 AM »

Lesson over...time for a pop quiz!!!

[spoiler] :yikes:[/spoiler]