Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

Yesterday at 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

Yesterday at 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

Yesterday at 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

Yesterday at 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

Yesterday at 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: TP Docs Rebuild/Update  (Read 31810 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
TP Docs Rebuild/Update
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »
Currently, along with Mick and Illori, I'm helping out with a major overhaul of the TinyPortal Documentation.
We're making good progress, but we still have a very long way to go as we work our way through the many(100's?) pages of the Docs, so if you've looked at and used the TinyPortal Docs site please feel free to offer your input.  :thumbup:

Post you comments here and I'll bring them up in our Docs rebuild topic over on TP.

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: TP Docs Rebuild/Update
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
Okie, dokie, Smokey...

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »

Offline Maxx

• Too Young to feel this old :)
  • FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »
Ken. Good deal Bro and thank you guys and thank you for the update , hard work as well:)

regards,
Maxx
Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
You're welcome Maxx.  :thumbup:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
I see a number of things already. LOL

Welcome to our Documentation and FAQ for TinyPortal

Ready to install TinyPortal and need some direction? Here you can find our Docs and a number of other boards and topics to help you work through any issues that you might face. Of course, you can always post to the Support Boards to ask any questions that you have. Please be sure to read our Posting Guidelines.

Maybe links for "Support Boards" and "Posting Guidelines"...for starters.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
I see a number of things already. LOL

Welcome to our Documentation and FAQ for TinyPortal

Ready to install TinyPortal and need some direction? Here you can find our Docs and a number of other boards and topics to help you work through any issues that you might face. Of course, you can always post to the Support Boards to ask any questions that you have. Please be sure to read our Posting Guidelines.

Maybe links for "Support Boards" and "Posting Guidelines"...for starters.

Good catch Steve... fixed it.  :hah!:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:25:20 AM »
More coming...

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Changes are in red...

What is a portal and how can I use it for my forum?
What is TinyPortal?

TinyPortal is a mod for Simple Machines Forum (SMF) that adds a powerful and mature Portal to your SMF Forum in minutes, with native integration, without having to worry about bridging, database, and appearance. Your SMF and TP will be a homogeneous ensemble from installation. It's up to you and your creativity to use TP's features to customize your site and organize its content.

Features included in TinyPortal:

Article System:
The article system gives you a CMS system tightly integrated with your forum. No need for bridges, double registering or other kludgey interface schemes with complex CMS software. Write articles in PHP, HTML or BBcode, also External articles and Cat List(category) and choose what membergroups can access them, who can contribute, and how they are approved. Whether you choose the built-in menu options for these pages or write your own, the flexibility to accommodate your choices is built-in.

Blocks:
Blocks is a term for the rectangles of information you can use throughout the portal. For the sake of simplicity, the page has been divided into the "panels", which when combined can mimic many common page layouts. These blocks can contain regular HTML, PHP code or special written functions that collect specific types of information. You can show them according to which permissions the visitor has, and even show them just in certain forum sections. You will come to love playing with them.

Some block types that are currently available:

ShoutBox - Its a box in which you can leave messages for others to see and thus maintain a simple "chat" on the site. Combined with permissions, you will have much freedom in who can participate as well. And as your visitors will discover, its actually quite fun to leave a smiley or two in it.
    Recent Posts - Showing the recent posts in a small sidebar, and letting members know what is new and unread, encourages participation and will boost member satisfaction.
    Theme switcher - Let members and visitors choose their favorite theme.
    Search - Allows members to search your site for content.
    Other blocks include: Calendar, Poll, RSS feeds, Menu (Managed in the menu manager), User Profile block, and News. And since you can use PHP, HTML and BBC, the only limit is your imagination.

Menu Manager:
A built-in Menu Manager allows you to create multiple menu's. These menu's are displayed in a block. You get all the features of blocks to display these menu's in different places along with choosing who gets to see the blocks based on permissions. You can create different types of links: links to articles, categories, or even just a custom link. You can choose to have the link open in the current window or a new window.
When you view the Home page of this TinyPortal Docs site you are seeing the Menu Manager in action, all of the content in the blocks of information there was built using the Menu Manager system.

Downloads Manager:
A built-in module for TP that lets you offer files for your members to browse and download. Its works by having the downloadable files placed in categories. These categories have permissions on them, letting you restrict member groups access level per each category. You may also allow members to upload files, controlling which member groups are allowed and what types of files they may upload.

Hmmm, doesn't anything about what "panels" are...

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
Those changes look good... I'll work them in later today, or early in the AM.

On the panels thing, I'll take a look at including something, we already have blurbs about that topic elsewhere, but it would work here as well.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
Of course they look good!  :hah!:

More coming...but time to eat and take a nap.  :2cool!!

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:16:37 PM »
Changes are in red...

What is a portal and how can I use it for my forum?
What is TinyPortal?

TinyPortal is a mod for Simple Machines Forum (SMF) that adds a powerful and mature Portal to your SMF Forum in minutes, with native integration, without having to worry about bridging, database, and appearance. Your SMF and TP will be a homogeneous ensemble from installation. It's up to you and your creativity to use TP's features to customize your site and organize its content.

Features included in TinyPortal:

Article System:
The article system gives you a CMS system tightly integrated with your forum. No need for bridges, double registering or other kludgey interface schemes with complex CMS software. Write articles in PHP, HTML or BBcode, also External articles and Cat List(category) and choose what membergroups can access them, who can contribute, and how they are approved. Whether you choose the built-in menu options for these pages or write your own, the flexibility to accommodate your choices is built-in.

Blocks:
Blocks is a term for the rectangles of information you can use throughout the portal. For the sake of simplicity, the page has been divided into the "panels", which when combined can mimic many common page layouts. These blocks can contain regular HTML, PHP code or special written functions that collect specific types of information. You can show them according to which permissions the visitor has, and even show them just in certain forum sections. You will come to love playing with them.

Some block types that are currently available:

ShoutBox - Its a box in which you can leave messages for others to see and thus maintain a simple "chat" on the site. Combined with permissions, you will have much freedom in who can participate as well. And as your visitors will discover, its actually quite fun to leave a smiley or two in it.
    Recent Posts - Showing the recent posts in a small sidebar, and letting members know what is new and unread, encourages participation and will boost member satisfaction.
    Theme switcher - Let members and visitors choose their favorite theme.
    Search - Allows members to search your site for content.
    Other blocks include: Calendar, Poll, RSS feeds, Menu (Managed in the menu manager), User Profile block, and News. And since you can use PHP, HTML and BBC, the only limit is your imagination.

Menu Manager:
A built-in Menu Manager allows you to create multiple menu's. These menu's are displayed in a block. You get all the features of blocks to display these menu's in different places along with choosing who gets to see the blocks based on permissions. You can create different types of links: links to articles, categories, or even just a custom link. You can choose to have the link open in the current window or a new window.
When you view the Home page of this TinyPortal Docs site you are seeing the Menu Manager in action, all of the content in the blocks of information there was built using the Menu Manager system.

Downloads Manager:
A built-in module for TP that lets you offer files for your members to browse and download. Its works by having the downloadable files placed in categories. These categories have permissions on them, letting you restrict member groups access level per each category. You may also allow members to upload files, controlling which member groups are allowed and what types of files they may upload.

Hmmm, doesn't anything about what "panels" are...

Done.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 12:13:57 AM »
1.  On the main page, the "Articles" and "Frontpage" section are different heights. "Articles" have 4 items in it and is shorter than "Frontpage" which has only 3 items in it???

2.  On that same page, some of the links have all large capital letters while others do not.

3.  In the image below, I think it should be: How To "Create" A...

The [ and ] brackets seem to imply coding.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:56:01 AM by Skhilled »

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 01:28:48 AM »
How Do I Install Tiny Portal?  First and most importantly, make a backup of your forum. If you are not sure how to do that, you can this the guide: How Do I Create A Backup Of My Site?

Second, download the version of Tiny Portal you wish to use (latest release recommended) from: http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=tinyportal

Third, in your SMF forum go to "Admin > Package Manager > Download Packages > Package to Upload > Browse" then select the TP package you downloaded and click "Upload".

Forth, once the TinyPortal package has been successfully uploaded click on the "Install Mod" link.

Finally, assuming everything tested successfully, with no red "Test failed" warnings showing, click on the "Install Now" link and your all done!

*However, if it shows "Test failed", you may need to manually install Tiny Portal. You can read instructions on how to do that here: How Do I Manually Install Tiny Portal?

If you are experienced and confident with what you are doing, you can proceed to install even though it says "Test failed", and manually modify those files using the guidelines from the manual install guide mentioned previously.

Useful Links:
Package manager ...A Doc on the SMF Package Manager and file permissions.

The one thing that I notice the most is a lack of consistency in coloring, spelling, grammar as far as what things are called. Things like "member groups" that are in the docs should as SMF calls them to make sure NEW users do not think it is something different. SMF calls it "membergroups" without the space. That is what they may be looking for, specifically. When they see something different they may think it is referring to something else.

And you can never overstate details! Remember, some people will be trying to build a website while they barely know how to use a computer. Been there dozens or hundreds of times. They are missing steps because of a lack of basic computer knowledge that we take for granted. They may have seen an ad for "making millions running a website" or something else to make money with their computer. Meanwhile, they have not taken the time to learn the basics of working a PC or surfing the internet.

That is how I run my site...based on that they may not know these things. Giving them too much information they may already know will save a lot of time instead of asking question after question and a week later you realize they know nothing about using a computer and are trying to run a website. My tutorials give a kind of "you are here and next you want to go there" through the displaying of images. This also has the advantage of helping people who do not speak English as the images will help show them what they wish to accomplish and will also help everyone (no matter what language they speak) make sure they know where they should be and what they should be doing.

This also has an added benefit of dramatically cutting back on support which will leave the staff more time for other things...like working on newer TP versions.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:04:56 AM by Skhilled »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »
How Do I Install Tiny Portal?  First and most importantly, make a backup of your forum. If you are not sure how to do that, you can this the guide: How Do I Create A Backup Of My Site?

Second, download the version of Tiny Portal you wish to use (latest release recommended) from: http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=tinyportal

Third, in your SMF forum go to "Admin > Package Manager > Download Packages > Package to Upload > Browse" then select the TP package you downloaded and click "Upload".

Forth, once the TinyPortal package has been successfully uploaded click on the "Install Mod" link.

Finally, assuming everything tested successfully, with no red "Test failed" warnings showing, click on the "Install Now" link and your all done!

*However, if it shows "Test failed", you may need to manually install Tiny Portal. You can read instructions on how to do that here: How Do I Manually Install Tiny Portal?

If you are experienced and confident with what you are doing, you can proceed to install even though it says "Test failed", and manually modify those files using the guidelines from the manual install guide mentioned previously.

Useful Links:
Package manager ...A Doc on the SMF Package Manager and file permissions.

The one thing that I notice the most is a lack of consistency in coloring, spelling, grammar as far as what things are called. Things like "member groups" that are in the docs should as SMF calls them to make sure NEW users do not think it is something different. SMF calls it "membergroups" without the space. That is what they may be looking for, specifically. When they see something different they may think it is referring to something else.

And you can never overstate details! Remember, some people will be trying to build a website while they barely know how to use a computer. Been there dozens or hundreds of times. They are missing steps because of a lack of basic computer knowledge that we take for granted. They may have seen an ad for "making millions running a website" or something else to make money with their computer. Meanwhile, they have not taken the time to learn the basics of working a PC or surfing the internet.

That is how I run my site...based on that they may not know these things. Giving them too much information they may already know will save a lot of time instead of asking question after question and a week later you realize they know nothing about using a computer and are trying to run a website. My tutorials give a kind of "you are here and next you want to go there" through the displaying of images. This also has the advantage of helping people who do not speak English as the images will help show them what they wish to accomplish and will also help everyone (no matter what language they speak) make sure they know where they should be and what they should be doing.

This also has an added benefit of dramatically cutting back on support which will leave the staff more time for other things...like working on newer TP versions.  :thumbup:

Done!  :2cool!!

Thank you for the input Steve... I actually subscribe to everything you are saying and try to reach for that level of detail and correctness. Having someone who is willing to proofread my work is a good thing however, as you have discovered.  laughing7