Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: [Gloat] Picked up some nice wood today!  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
[Gloat] Picked up some nice wood today!
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:02:47 PM »
This ends up being a 2fer gloat is because several weeks back, just after buying my HF lathe, the Winston-Salem CL had a post for some free cypress so I got a pickup load, but didn't post it because my skills were close to zero... in other words, if I could not put it to good use then what good would a gloat do.

Well my skills at this point have improved a little, but are still not all that great, but the truck load of maple I picked up today really needs a gloat.

This was another CL find in W-S.
The family that posted the maple loved their tree, but after a power company crew cut it back severely and ruined the tree they decided to take it down. They have a two year old daughter, so I'll try to make a child's bowl for her and give them something to remember the tree by.

This first pic is of the maple with a little of the cypress in the far right background.

This one is just the maple.

These big chunks are a mix of both maple and the cypress. (there are two even larger pieces of cypress up by my shop)

And, speaking of skills... I don't think these turnings are good enough to warrant a topic of their own but I'll post them here so that you can see that some progress is being made.

The small tray and the salt box were turned from a board that I picked up at the W-S Habitat store. It was well seasoned, rough sawn, and about 1x12x48. It was mostly clear, but did have a large knot and a bend one one end. As you can see in the pic it has a rich chocolate color... my finish was mineral oil and bees wax, so the color you see is close to natural. I think the wood may be walnut???

The other tray (trivet?) was turned from a 1x12 pine board. The mallet was just a whimsical trial at turning plywood, it worked out OK but I have no great desire to do that again anytime soon.  :08:

Thanks for looking... Ken

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Re: [Gloat] Picked up some nice wood today!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
very nice gesture for the child and great woodworking! ;D