Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Internet Data Usage Heads up!  (Read 7228 times)

Offline Maxx (OP)

• Too Young to feel this old :)
  • FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
Internet Data Usage Heads up!
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
For those who do not know< Most Device Plans have Data limitations that will 10 dollars or more for per  GB over usage depending on your plan, so say you have Comcast, and you limit is 300gb then 10 month for an additional 50gb. and for some mobile plans are much sticker and limited to less usage. so you need to keep tack of you usage on a regular basis!

One thing that takes much or most of your data limit will be steaming Youitube and netflix videos!

One way to cut down of the video streaming usage is to always set the video quality to Low, or the lowest quality possible, ( not the auto setting they have by default !)

I have posted a Video on how to cut down on this with Netflix below, but there are manmy other ways to cut down on your mobile devise usage !

https://youtu.be/Ifv1lxWDsqk

Hope this helps cut down your cost!

Maxx
Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Lesmond

Re: Internet Data Usage Heads up!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
Good info maxx, Luckily this doesnt affect me, I get unlimited bandwidth with my ISP.. and pretty good download speeds :2cool!!

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
Yes ... I've seen some offering unlimited streaming, may catch on to other competing! I hope,
Some of the young have no idea till the bill kicks in.. Getting plenty Snow here, it's been a while!

BTW my speed is very fast!

Take Care ,
Maxx
Nothing worth having comes easy! Back up all your stuff! And step into the Mystery!

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:58:21 AM »
This is why I got an "El Cheapo" cell service. LOL I pay $35 per month for unlimited calls and texting and 2.5bg of data. I rarely use my cell for the net so it doesn't matter and I rarely use it all. I can't see spending $60-$100+ per month for one phone that I don't use much! I could use the $25 plan and be happy with that cause I'm usually somewhere where there is free wifi. But I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I can use it if I need to...

www.totalwireless.com

As far as my ISP (home service) goes there is no cap on how much I use. They might slow it down a bit after using so much but I haven't noticed it...and it's pretty slow anyways. LOL

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
I would love to have a smart phone, but I'm just too cheap to pay for the monthly data plan.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
The phone I have only cost me about $100 or less...I forget. So that's not too bad. But the only time I really spend a lot of time online is when I'm on my PC at home so it doesn't matter.

You can probably buy a smartphone online like on ebay, etc. pretty cheap without having to pay for a 2 year plan or whatever the companies charge for it. Then you can use the wifi for the net or buy into a service that will be cheaper. Some services will give you the phone if you do a 2 year plan or something.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:53:40 PM »
Actually I was not referring only to the phones, but also to the all PC and Mobile devices as well, some sates have limited data usage charges for say like Comcast Internet streaming videos .... so when some use Netflix and other steaming services , you best View them on low to medium quality in or to stay within your limit.

As far as the smart phones, (bad habit worst than drugs)
I don't use nor trust in them at all.
For me a phone is phone and nothing more. and mine is for emergencies only.. prepaid monthly :)

Just me :)

Maxx

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:43:12 PM »
Yes! I was looking into Comcast (called Xfinity now to get away from the bad rep) and they charge extra over 200gb/month, I think. I don't stream but Lealer do cause she likes her Netflix shows.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:35:28 AM »
My plan is 300gb, but if i keep the Netflix stream at a low quality, ( still looks great ) the limit is plenty, in the video I posted shows how to do this at Netflix..Now if you want you watch a movie in HD you can change for that video I suppose, then go back to low after. In the Comcast > MY account > My services> Internet > you see a meter where you can monitor your Data Usage. Some Zip codes have unlimited data usage but not many!

I have TV, Internet and phone services !

regards,
Maxx

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
Yes, I've spend a few hours searching the site and saw the same things. I believe some plans have different caps. I think my state is not included in the trial cap thing they have so I would probably have unlimited service...at least for now.

I'm considering getting net and tv service. It would save me money instead of paying for DirecTv and Verizon separately.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
Yes that's what changed my mind plus the constant lose of signal and their Net services suck!

Here the phone service with the tel company is very high and the Comcast is reasonable in the package!

Maxx

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »
The one thing I don't like about Comcast is their lack of support. At least in this area, there were very horrible to their customers. It was so bad almost all of their customers left and they closed the office but that was years ago. They have reopened it and are now trying to regain customers. The biggest problem is that they only answer calls during regular business hours, not like Verizon, DirecTV and others which you can call 24/7.

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I use their On line support chat, never had issues :)

maxx

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »
But if your net is down then how do you connect to them?

Offline Maxx (OP)

• FF Friends
  • Vietnam Veteran Sgt.
  • View Gallery
    • SurfaceThemes
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
Yes I realize but, it's best in that case your check and re-check first your equipment, I lost the net a few times and had to rest my modem and all was good, if they need to come by it will cost you a service charge.

Now you modem, don't do a hard reboot from the back pin hole , but unplug the unit and let it start up cache the signal, if not like the last it was their problem and just wated and then unplug and let search setup again and it worked