Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Reproduction Antique Wooden Stethoscopes  (Read 5192 times)

Offline BigMike (OP)

Reproduction Antique Wooden Stethoscopes
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
Ken posted his stethoscopes on the AAW Forum and my attention was immediate.  He had cancer and he created a reproduction stethoscope for his doctor.  Well, I did the same thing.  I got the idea from an episode of Mysteries at the Museum on the Travel Channel where a reproduction of the first stethoscope by French physician Rene' Laennec was shown.  I immediately recognized it as a wood turned object and that set my wheels turning.

I did a lot of research and was able to find information on actual antique stethoscopes in collections or at auction that provided multiple views and specifications with respect to size.  So I started turning them.

I ended up turning 28 different models.  After I passed them out to my doctors I donated the rest to the Country Doctor Museum which is part of the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. I posted a picture of my collection on the AAW Forum.

Here is a picture of some of my reproductions labeled with the name of the doctor or maker.  They range in size from 3 1/2" long to 11" long.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: Reproduction Antique Wooden Stethoscopes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »
Mike, your output and quality are impressive! I scanned through your album over on the AAW forum and your boxes really caught my attention, especially this one... great piece.

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline BigMike (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:07 AM »
Thank you sir. 

That box is turned from a piece of ambrosia maple that was given to me by my dear friend and mentor Ed Moore.  Ed passed away from cancer.  He had a huge impact on my life and is missed every day.

By the way, in addition to the stethoscopes I gave each of my doctors a stool sample which was appropriate for the type of cancer I had.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Very impressive collection, Big Mike!!! Awesome!!!

Mike, your output and quality are impressive! I scanned through your album over on the AAW forum and your boxes really caught my attention, especially this one... great piece.

VERY nice! Doesn't say what it was originally made for but would make a lovely scented candle holder, among other things.

Thank you sir. 

That box is turned from a piece of ambrosia maple that was given to me by my dear friend and mentor Ed Moore.  Ed passed away from cancer.  He had a huge impact on my life and is missed every day.

By the way, in addition to the stethoscopes I gave each of my doctors a stool sample which was appropriate for the type of cancer I had.

Ok, even if I was a Dr. I'm not sure I'd want to keep a personal sample! LOL Joking! Great work!!!  :rofl2 :rofl2 :rofl2