Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: BaseCamping Banners  (Read 9302 times)

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »
Wow that looks really sharp Les thanks.   :bigthumb:

You're pretty darn good at that sort of stuff.

You better hope I don't get the crunchers involved in a banner war like we had a ways back or you'll be one busy puppy.   :2funny:

Ask BigFoot about what I mean.  

EDIT: I've split this topic and moved it to the Cancer Research Team boards because this new one and the other topic deal with different types of banners, so we didn't want things to get confusing... Ken
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:22:55 PM by BigFoot »

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
That's for sure... we had some pretty wild banners floating around.
Maybe we can get something started again.  :up2some:
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Lesmond

BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »
lol I dont mind, I have joined a new Graphics site, and I am learning a lot, even use one of my graphics for the banner there :innocent:

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
lol I dont mind, I have joined a new Graphics site, and I am learning a lot, even use one of my graphics for the banner there :innocent:

Over that next few days I'll try to track down some of those old banners and maybe give a little history about them to show you what was going on back then.
Maybe LoneWolf knows where some are still posted and post some links as well.

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »

Over that next few days I'll try to track down some of those old banners and maybe give a little history about them to show you what was going on back then.
Maybe LoneWolf knows where some are still posted and post some links as well.

Hmmmm..............the most action we had during banner wars was when we were still at PC911 because it was BitBenderTech and in particular Imaginasian that we were jousting with.

Unless someone kept some of it I don't know where it would be found anymore.

I used to have lot of graphics stored but by this time I'm about three hard drives past those times and every reformat I'd house clean and get rid of things I figured weren't needed anymore.

We had quite a bit of interaction with the Dutch Power Cows too as I recall and that was when we were already at BitBenderTech I believe.

BitBender wiped out all traces of me as far as I know and I haven't had an account there for several years.

He pulled one of his stupid hissy fits (I would imagine you'd know what I mean Ken)  one too many times and got his nose all out of joint because I got into a disagreement with his outspoken buddy Grogan.

I got tired of apologizing for BitBender's antics to acquaintances that I'd referred to the site in an effort to bolster the crunching team so when he made some stupid remark I told him to stuff it, grow up, and left.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »
Nothing like that happened to me, except for the getting tired of the BS part.  :disted:

Like you, I grew weary of some of the stuff that was going on so I just kind of faded away.
I did see that someone on the staff has placed a comment under my Avatar... "Lost Cause", not sure why other than maybe they got mad at me for not being around anymore.

Les, I've been looking for banners from those days, but none found so far... I'll keep looking but it doesn't look promising at this point.

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
Nothing like that happened to me, except for the getting tired of the BS part.  :disted:

Like you, I grew weary of some of the stuff that was going on so I just kind of faded away.
I did see that someone on the staff has placed a comment under my Avatar... "Lost Cause", not sure why other than maybe they got mad at me for not being around anymore.

Sorry to hear that but can't say I'm surprised as being juvenile was definitely one of the hallmarks of being staff there.

All I wanted to do was get someone to take over the team captain spot so I could be free to wander about and I told them to vote for one and what my plan was then BitBender blew a gasket because I vacated the captaincy according to him in a sneaky manner after he'd given me the world.

I guess I didn't quite remember it that way considering much of his membership wouldn't even exist were it not for my migrating there and having many of the former PC911 crunchers such as yourself come with me.

He's lost many of the original BBT members including Imaginasian and floppybootstomp but the former PC911'ers are still there.

I still hear from Zema Bus now and then.

The thing there was that often there would be some behind the scenes conflict but what the membership was told was only a small fraction of the truth or total fantasy to begin with.

I always thought that what was really at the root of it was that Zema Bus talked me into trying gaming so I got COD and thought I'd give it a try.

I didn't even play much but thought I was pretty certain Grogan was using admin privileges to basically cheat by banning anyone who was too good at the game and killed him a lot.

I tested the theory by joining under a different profile and sure enough I did nothing wrong other than kill Grogan in the game a few times and got a reaction pretty darn quick.

Shortly thereafter I told one of the staff what happened and the doo doo hit the fan from there.

I guess it was pretty ballsy of me to dare question Grogan but I didn't really care.   He's a good tech but his manner leaves much to be desired and I never really cared for it.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »
Ah Ha! Found some!  :yahoo:

Spezi when you mentioned ImaginAsian I thought, "Do a search on PCQ&A using his name and see what pops up".

Well, this Popped Up!
It's his topic for a Team BBT vs. 911 Banner Challenge and there are a few posted there, plus a link to a topic on BBT where there are a few more.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »

Offline Lesmond

BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »
I like this one best...

I never been keen on animated ones!

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:18 PM »
As it happens 'G' was one of the main reasons I left PC911/PCQ&A, his pissy attitude caused me grief more than once including one direct confrontation between us. Actually I was surprised that we never had issues on BBT.    :wink2:

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
I like this one best...

Yes, well, maybe we shouldn't make one that looks too much like it Les... there's a lot of history there.  :08:

No need for them to be animated, I'm with you one that part.

Offline Lesmond

BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
do you want one for that site, bitbenderforums.com?

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
BitBenders would not be high on my list of places to visit during a Base Camp campaign because first of all I'd have to be the spokesperson which might well be awkward and then there's the fact that the team is healthy and doing good in the ranks so doesn't really need a boost.

If I were to favor a past team it would be PCQandA and only because they lost their biggest contributor to cancer recently and that outweighs whatever my personal feelings toward some of the staff there might be.

Ideally I'd really love to find a worthy new cause to help promote crunching at.

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
As it happens 'G' was one of the main reasons I left PC911/PCQ&A, his pissy attitude caused me grief more than once including one direct confrontation between us. Actually I was surprised that we never had issues on BBT.    :wink2:
He was too busy playing with Bits and cheating on the games server.   :rofl:

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
Ah Ha! Found some!  :yahoo:

Spezi when you mentioned ImaginAsian I thought, "Do a search on PCQ&A using his name and see what pops up".

Well, this Popped Up!

Oh wow I went to the link and the first username I saw was "Sonny".    :cry2:

Haven't thought of him for a while.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:28 PM »
Spezi is right about the BBT thing Les... the few negative comments we've made here are only the 'tip of the iceberg' as it were, so we'll not likely be visiting there for the BaseCamp project.

Spezi, the PCQ&A thing sounds good to me, but it's your decision because from the sound of things at BaseCamp Sport and the others are leaving it up to you. Whatever site you and the others pick will be OK by me

Even BBT if you were to do that one.  :cry2:

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
Spezi is right about the BBT thing Les... the few negative comments we've made here are only the 'tip of the iceberg' as it were, so we'll not likely be visiting there for the BaseCamp project.

Spezi, the PCQ&A thing sounds good to me, but it's your decision because from the sound of things at BaseCamp Sport and the others are leaving it up to you. Whatever site you and the others pick will be OK by me

Even BBT if you were to do that one.  :cry2:

I don't really have much to go on other than what I read at Base Camp and how they've approached other treks.

It appears to me the standard method was to scout out a number of possibilities then mention them to the Base Campers as to why they are there and then post a poll for the members to vote on the candidate.

I think that's as good an approach as any but could sure use any help in suggestions as to where we might consider going.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »
Did you scout the recruiting topics at the WCG forums?

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
Did you scout the recruiting topics at the WCG forums?

I've been keeping an eye on them and there's one I've sort of kept in the back of my mind but most of the other ones are healthy large teams.   Not that being large discounts you but usually large teams are pretty good at generating interest on their own.

I'd also have to say that I'd even consider PC Review again if we are hard up for good candidates because since Ady has retired and I left they are without their top two producers and a visit might well fire them up somewhat.   Not to mention they have an excellent stats feature in place and are good folk too.     (Well I can do without flops but that's another story.  LOL)

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »
(Well I can do without flops but that's another story.  LOL)  :08:

Offline Lesmond

BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
OH boy, you guys have lost me completely lol

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
(Well I can do without flops but that's another story.  LOL)  :08:

I don't know if you knew or not but Bits and floppybootstomp had a big falling out and he left BBT quite some time back.

They were best buds and in the BBT "inner circle" as I was reminded a bunch of times when I was just a lowly mod.  LOL

Offline LoneWolf_53 (OP)

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
OH boy, you guys have lost me completely lol
The only thing I can tell you is at times having someone that's gifted with graphics is a wonderful asset I'm just not sure quite yet how or where we can make use of it but I assure you if we can we will.   :belly:

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
Take a look at these three topics Les:
http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=1060.0 ...deals with what the project is and how to get involved.

... and these two deal with the BaseCamping thing we've been talking about.
http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=1908.0
http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=1953.0

The basics are fairly simple, but if you have any questions at all I'll be happy to answer.  :disted:

Offline Lesmond

BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
The only thing I can tell you is at times having someone that's gifted with graphics is a wonderful asset I'm just not sure quite yet how or where we can make use of it but I assure you if we can we will. 
I am still a learner LW :innocent:

Take a look at these three topics Les:
http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=1060.0 ...deals with what the project is and how to get involved.

... and these two deal with the BaseCamping thing we've been talking about.
http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=1908.0
http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=1953.0

The basics are fairly simple, but if you have any questions at all I'll be happy to answer.  :disted:
Will do Ken, getting a bit late here in the UK, almost 01.30 :thud:

Offline Lesmond

BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »
Ken maybe we should split up this topic some, just getting a bit confusticated lol (now theres a word you never heard)

Quote from: confusticated
The combination of being confused and frustrated

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
Ken maybe we should split up this topic some, just getting a bit confusticated lol (now theres a word you never heard)

Quote from: confusticated
The combination of being confused and frustrated

OK, I'll take a look to see if it would be better as two topics.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: BaseCamping Banners
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »
OK, I've split the original topic and moved this new "BaseCamping Banners"  by LoneWolf-53 to the Cancer Research Team boards so that all FF members are able to participate... we had it in the staff boards while working on some of the details.