Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: RollCall & Welcome Topic for BaseCamper Trekkers  (Read 84984 times)

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • Almost Good Enough to be Good for Something
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
Re: RollCall & Welcome Topic for BaseCamper Trekkers
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »
@dl1000v

....Basically ...BaseCamp is a bunch of misfits with various computational powers; from various established WCG teams, like this one...that get together a few times per year and join a selected team to boost their stats,standings,visibility...whatever! during the Holiday season we tend to act like Santa ....

A trek is the physical influx where we join the victim errr...beneficiary of the pre-chosen team/project!! It's all in fun ...but for the betterment of the team/project we have chosen too help---An awful lot of preplanning goes on behind the scenes at our secret batcave!!!!

The trek here @ Our FamilyForum is scheduled to start at 00:01 11/22/09 in earnest
with probably 15-20 BC Campers joining in; I keep a set of books so that we have bragging rights to what we have done as a group and individually. At the end of the trek we build and select 'merit badges' for the recently completed trek that we can display in the 'BatCave'

@BC...
did I miss anything ..or misrepresent???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:36:08 PM by Sport »

BaseCamp Holiday Trek 2009 to Our FamilyForum Dedicated to Mallie

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
You done good Sport.  :bigthumb:

dl1000v, we're glad to have you here the FamilyForum team and hope you stay with us of course, but it's always an individual decision for anyone who is donating their computing cycles as you are now doing. Most people join a team as you've done here with us on the FF and then stay there for the duration and that's how it has been for me and my 'core' members for almost 10 years now. During that time we've been through many changes as a team and had lots of adventures, but the central focus has always remained the same... we work as a team doing this Crunching thing hoping that we help find some cures for cancer.

But we sometimes have a little fun along the way!  :08:
Through the years we've known about and witnessed the fun work the the BaseCampers do when they do a Trek, where they join a team for a week or two or three and give the host team a big blast of points and try to generate interest within the host teams forum membership by doing lots of posting in topics like this one. What you are seeing now is the buildup to the BC Trek that is about to happen for us here on Our FamilyForum...(November 22, 2009 to December 5, 2009) and this topic and several others in this 'Cancer Research Team' board are all dedicated to the BC'ers and their efforts on our behalf as they do the Trek.

When the Trek is over you will be most welcome to stay with us here on the FF team and you would be welcome to participate in any part of the forum/site but as mentioned before, it's strictly your decision. You are a part of the FF membership of course and I've currently placed you in the 'BaseCamper' membergroup because you joined the FF team and then joined the FF site during the same time as lots of BC'ers were joining, but if you would like that can be changed to one of our regular membergroup categories, just say the word and it will be made so.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments that you have, someone will always try to give you a good answer.  riteon

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2009, 06:34:37 PM »
....to those that have never experienced one... A BaseCamp Trek is something you have to see first hand to understand...It's all good!!!!!!!

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
welcome2 to Our Family Forum dl1000v

Hello everyone! Thanks for the freindly welcome! I've been crunching for Wcgrid for a long time, but I am new to teams. Can someone give me a quick overview of what base camping and treks are?

Thanks!

Good to see you here dl1000v and posting.  :bigthumb:

I think Sport put it as good as one can and you can't find a better place to hang your hat than Our Family Forum if you want to associate with "relentless" crunchers.   :08:

Just ask BigFoot.   :cheers:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »

I think Sport put it as good as one can and you can't find a better place to hang your hat than Our Family Forum if you want to associate with "relentless" crunchers.   :08:

Just ask BigFoot.   :cheers:

Yes we are... RELENTLESS!  :cool2:

Offline dl1000v

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »
Relentless crunching is good!

Thanks for the info. So.... if I want to trek wtih you guys, do I need to do anything? Is there a trek list of what teams your visiting and do I need to quit this team and join the one we are trekking to, or does the FF team as a whole automatically drag me around wtih them on treks, for lack of a better phrase!

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
@dl1000v

Start your adventures ....HERE>>>   BAT CAVE   <<<..  you'll have to  ask for and wait for a key to the front door, but one of the slacker Admins will eventually let you in!!!!!...then Introductions are always a good thing

EDIT: Family Forum is a target team we are about to invade ....follow the above link and start making noise ....you'll get access to the whole burrito ....do the research and you will grasp what we are all about!!! If you have any ???'s any of the membership will be happy to help out or many of us can personally be contacted @   SeriousCrunchers  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:06:01 PM by Sport »

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
Relentless crunching is good!

Thanks for the info. So.... if I want to trek wtih you guys, do I need to do anything? Is there a trek list of what teams your visiting and do I need to quit this team and join the one we are trekking to, or does the FF team as a whole automatically drag me around wtih them on treks, for lack of a better phrase!

We all have home teams that we reside at when we are not involved in a trek.  For you that's been Our Family Forum.   When we go on a trek we have to leave our home team for the amount of time that we've decided to trek and join the target team then when we are done we rejoin our home team.

Some Base Campers have a lot of hardware and choose to dedicate a certain amount to a trek while they leave other machines at home or other projects while some take the whole herd along.    The choice is up to the individual.

If you'd like to participate in treks then follow the link and instructions Sport has given you.   :wink2:

Offline Sport

• Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
    • SeriousCrunchers
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2009, 10:10:57 PM »
....do I need to quit this team and join the one we are trekking to

in a nutshell....  YES   There will always be instructions and links @BaseCamp

participation is strictly voluntary; after(or during) a given trek you can always quit the target team and join/rejoin any project/team you wish; your statistics to date will still be logged in the trek Stats books which are posted on BaseCamp as well as @ seriouscrunchers.net; a copy is also available to the target team
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:38:37 PM by Sport »

Offline Lesmond

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
I am hoping to get 5 machines up for the trek, 2 desktops and 3 laptops, defo 3 though

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
I am hoping to get 5 machines up for the trek, 2 desktops and 3 laptops, defo 3 though

Les you can run all of those under a separate name for each one if you wish, but what lots of people do is run them all under one name, or log-in... that makes book keeping lots simpler for all involved by keeping all of your production together under that one name.

Offline Lesmond

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »
well my lappy is under lesmonds already, I was running that when my D/Top was in the shop, we got my daughters lappy here and my sons D/top plus lisa's Lappy, so I could sign up Lisa, Kris and Stacey under under there names, will see what they say first Ken.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »
Which ever way you want to do it is OK Les, if each PC is under one family members name then that family member gets credit for their work under their own name instead of having it all lumped together.

When I do the stats charts for us here on the FF each member will get their own line in the chart if the PC is listed under their name, that way they can see how they are doing from from week to week.
Lisa, Kris and Stacey are welcome to join the forum membership if they want to, but they will be able to see the stats whether they do or not. 

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
Lets give a big Welcome Aboard to Dataman... he's now a member here on the FF.  :happy:

Offline LoneWolf_53

• Wandering Cruncher
  • Forum Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »

dataman?   :yikes: 

Better get blackheeler to make another beer run.   :muahaha:

Welcome to Our Family Forum dataman glad to see you here.   :cheers: