Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: I'm Fit !!!  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
I'm Fit !!!
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
I've enrolled in a program called "I'm Fit" at Sticht Research Center of Wake Forest University.  :2thumbs:
This topic will serve as a place to post my progress and any 'events'... like the biopsy I had today.

http://www.wakehealth.edu/uploadedFiles/User_Content/Research/Departments/Gerontology_and_Geriatrics/Assets/Spring%202010.pdf

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Burgundyrose

Re: I'm Fit !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:20 AM »
Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Me too!  :2thumbs:

My first session starts on Monday, the 28th.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:24:39 AM »
Just make sure that if they break something they can fix it first...and get it in writing! LOL

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »

Going in for my second session today!  :2thumbs:
In the first session, on Monday, my coach (Carrie) ran me through all of the Nautilus machines to set a baseline goal for each machine. She did this by working me up to a maximum that I was able to do on each machine. Their machines were very similar to what you would see in a YMCA gym, only with lots lower weights on them. One example was a leg press machine that only went up to 400lbs... I maxed out on that one as well as a couple more of the leg machines. On the upper body machines my results were OK, but not nearly as good as on the legs.

Today we'll start to get into a regular exercise program of strength training... as we know, lifting weights for strength training is not the same as lifting weights for bodybuilding, but my plan is to try to do a little of both. Most likely I'll need to do a lot of the bodybuilding stuff at home because in the class the rules are pretty strict.  :08:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:25 AM »
Soon enough, Kay will have to beat the women off of you with a stick. ;)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
Soon enough, Kay will have to beat the women off of you with a stick. ;)

:yikes:

Offline Burgundyrose

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »
Question? Are the sessions weekly? Or can you go as often as you want? Sorry if you mentioned how often they were before, but I forgot. I just read the description below and it says 3 sessions a week for strength training, but can you do more than that? Can you go 3 days in a row? Or do they have to be spread out more than that?  I am asking because my mother in law is in need of such a program as this, and I can't seem to find anything like this in my local area? I was hoping to find a way just to get her motivated to exercise. I think if I could get her out of the house and exercising it would help with her mental health as well as physical. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:56:57 AM by Burgundyrose »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
Hi BR... I'll answer by quoting your questions.  :happy:

Are the sessions weekly?  The program has us scheduled for one hour sessions three days each week.

I just read the description below and it says 3 sessions a week for strength training, but can you do more than that? They don't really want you to do more and the program is very structured in what they have you doing in each session... of course there's nothing stopping you from adding in extra stuff when you are away from the class/session. I do a little on the treadmill on my off days.

I am asking because my mother in law is in need of such a program as this, and I can't seem to find anything like this in my local area? I was hoping to find a way just to get her motivated to exercise. I think if I could get her out of the house and exercising it would help with her mental health as well as physical. Thanks. You'll need to see what is available in your area of course, but for this program it began with adds on our local TV station for various research programs that were being promoted by the Wake Forrest Medical Center and the Wake Forrest University. Their research center has several studies going for the effects of aging and after a series of interviews and tests I was able to get into this study. Basically the study is to determine how beneficial weight training would be for someone from 65 to 79.

If you have any medical schools in your area that would be the place to start, also, if any of the hospitals in your area are teaching or research hospitals that would be a good place to check. If nothing is available in any kind of studies  then maybe you could get her interested in the YMCA, most of them have some kind of programs that are set up for different age groups... of course she will have to pay a monthly membership fee to use the Y. And, you may want to check out the Y anyway because these research programs usually only last for a few months. (mine is for 6 months) So, for me it's going to be the Y after this study ends, otherwise whatever gains I make will be lost.

Some sort of exercise routine is good for a persons health and mobility no matter how old they are, or what condition they may be in... even if they can't walk, or have some other disability any movement helps to improve overall health.

Offline Burgundyrose

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
Thank you so much Ken. Unfortunately in our area we have no teaching or research hospitals within a reasonable distance.  We would have to travel to either Los Angeles 4 hours south, or to the bay area, around 6 hours north. The closest YMCA facility if it is even still open is one and a half hours away. I did find out that the local community college has an exercise program geared towards seniors.  From what I understand a lot of the local doctors just send their patients to the college. I am going to look into this college class a little further. Thank you again for all the info.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
You're welcome. Hope you find something for her.  :bigthumb:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Blew out my Rotator Cuff!  :opps:

Actually, it is a flareup of an old injury (late 90's) that I had forgotten all about... but, me remembers it now!  :thud:
Gonna have to take it easy on the exercises that affect that area for a coupe of weeks, doing mostly stretching until it's better.

Offline Burgundyrose

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »
Hope it heals quickly. My husband has been dealing with a torn cuff for over a year. Won't take the time off of work to have surgery, or to even give it half a chance of healing.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
That can make it worse...