Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: New garden for 2009, by G-Ma Kay  (Read 5543 times)

Offline GrandMa Kay (OP)

• Administrator
  • FamilyForum Cancer Research Team
  • View Gallery
New garden for 2009, by G-Ma Kay
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »
Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Am getting ready to go shopping for seeds for my 2009 garden...I am so excited to look forward to all that hard work...I know this will turn out better than our "before" gardens, as I am selecting just Burpee seeds for planting. I will not buy tomato plants this year as I am so upset that they never mark them correctly........I will start my own plants from seeds and hopefully I will get what I want this year. Maybe we will have some strawberries this year. I want you all to say a prayer for me that I select the very best seed packets.I get so excited about the garden. There is not much that excites G-Ma Kay anymore at the ripe old age of 64. I do so enjoy the garden, though. G-Pa Ken will help me with some of it.We will put plastic down this year, as I am getting too old to weed the garden the usual way. I had a bloop ppressure probl;em and being out in that hot sun, weeding, was not the best thing for me. Now that is under control, so off we go to planting. I have to make sure that it will not frost after I plant the plants. I will grow my own from seeds in the garage. I am sure that most of you will not find this too amazing, but to come from a farm, like I did, it is truely wonderful to have a large, bountiful garden filled with things that you like to eat.It is much healthier than buying stuff in the store.

Just thought that I would update you on my project. If any of you come, after the tomato's are ripe, I will make homade spaghetti sauce and freeze it. My love to all.........G-Ma Kay

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: New garden for 2009, by G-Ma Kay
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »
GrandMa Kay started her seeds for some of her plants this morning, here's a couple of pictures.  :bigthumb:

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline GrandMa Kay (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
Hi Everyone, Well, the seeds are planted and I am hoping for a big crop of Tomato's.......I love making homade sauces. I just love to experiment.....I should have been a Mad Scientist..........I am thinking of planting some wild, healing herbs, like Sam talks about in her book.......You need to see the part with Steve and the cellulitis...It is on the Forum.. You know, I have pretty good luck with growing things, so I may look for some  of these unusual seeds for healing. Frankenberry and such. Would probably have to find an organic place to try some of these. I will try to find out from Sam about some of these plants.
Well, wish me luck in the planting area............Love, G-Ma Kay

Sam's Article about Steve's Cellulitis.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:48:49 PM by GPa Ken »

Offline Lesmond

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
Good luck with the Planting GrandMa Kay and dont get arrested for planting them funny seeds ;)

Offline GrandMa Kay (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »
Thanks Les....I think that those funny seeds are from the Bible, so I hope that they are not  illegal, but who know's as we live in North Carolina......They do have some jackass laws here....G-Ma Kay

Offline kcranch

• Family
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
 :yahoo: I can't wait! I sure miss your cooking and Darryl and I have contemplated a garden of our own. It's just so darn dry right now withe the drought and all. We are under phase 4 water restriction and as you know the rainy season doesn't get underway till June! Fresh veggies sound so good. Now that I have a job again I may see about a long weekend. I think starting from seed is a great idea and look forward to the results.  :2tumb:
Keith

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
I've been talking about starting an herb garden for years. I just might do it this year.

I make a ton of spaghetti sauce using my crock pot...6 quarts at a time. I bag them into meal sized portions and put them into freezer bags and freeze them.

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:05:56 AM »
I've been talking about starting an herb garden for years. I just might do it this year.

I make a ton of spaghetti sauce using my crock pot...6 quarts at a time. I bag them into meal sized portions and put them into freezer bags and freeze them.

Kay often dose the freezer bag thing with sauces, including spaghetti sauce... from our garden she did most of out tomato crop that way, making them into tomato sauce and freezing the sauce in bags. She also will do things like chili that way. We use the freezer bag method for lots of our veggies, like green beans and corn.

We did some herbs last season, but the results were disappointing... hopefully this year they tun out better.  :08:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
I have a big chest freezer. So, I usually make extra of whatever I'm cooking for another meal...for when I'm feeling lazy. LOL

Sometimes, I'll spend the day cooking meals for another day and freeze them. I do a lot of heavy lifting and walking on my job and sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything. The frozen food is either already cook or partially prepared to make things easier.

For instance, if I want teriyaki chicken I'll clean the chicken, marinate it, put it in a freezer bag, and freeze it. Saves time on waiting for it to marinate. ;)

Offline Ken

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
Found a great animated picture for Kay to use while she's in her garden.  :bigthumb:

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 09:55:15 AM »
Cool! Looks good. ;)

Offline GrandMa Kay (OP)

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
 :beg:I think the hair color is a little off, my Dear................Yuck yuck yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »
LOL