Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

Yesterday at 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

Yesterday at 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

Yesterday at 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

Yesterday at 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

Yesterday at 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Interesting Facts - Living Frozen Frogs???  (Read 692 times)

Offline Skhilled (OP)

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
Interesting Facts - Living Frozen Frogs???
« on: July 31, 2022, 09:48:48 AM »
Frogs are found all across the world, but only one species lives as far north as the Arctic Circle: the wood frog. That might surprise anyone who’s seen the small, brownish amphibians in Alabama or Georgia, but these tiny creatures are as widespread as they are resilient. They've adapted to cold climates (including Alaska and the Northeast) by literally freezing during the winter, with their hearts no longer beating and their lungs no longer breathing air as they enter a kind of suspended animation. How, then, do they not die? By producing a sugary sort of antifreeze that keeps their actual cells from freezing — which would be lethal — even as the space between their cells does. They thaw out when temperatures rise in the spring, ready to live their best frog lives (read: mate) once again.

Most other animals in the Arctic are a little less surprising: polar bears, walruses, musk oxen, and other hardy creatures are well-suited to harsh conditions. None of them need to freeze in order to survive the winter, which only makes wood frogs more impressive. Their ability to make it through the season unscathed — which has been described as a biological miracle — also has to do with location. Wood frogs nestle on the leafy litter of the forest floor, hiding from potential predators and partially insulating themselves from the cold to come.