Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: My Essay about wetlands.  (Read 3087 times)

Offline taylor_yo_ (OP)

• Family
  • FamilyForum Cancer Research Team
  • View Gallery
My Essay about wetlands.
« on: November 10, 2006, 06:31:33 AM »
You know those county contest where you can win money? Well stokes county was having an annual contest they always have a contest about nature whether its soil or grass or like this time wetlands. Our teacher decided that she was going to make this a mandatory essay. But after we all wrote it she was going to pick the best 4 essays. Which so happened to be me, and my good pals Sarah, Reece, and Katie. We all wanted to win, but Mrs. Fulk was probably more into it than we were she made us redo our papers at least  8 times each. When we arrived at the old Danbury court house it  was pretty freaky because it was so huge. But luckily I had my friends and grandparents to help me through it . when we got in the board room it seemed less scary. I guess it was because all the kids that were in the contest looked really nerdy so I could focus on that instead I do remember this one kid he had a shaggy head of hair and this really geeky suit but it wasn?t just that he was extremely nerdy he was so cocky . before I knew it was time to draw a number and luckily I got 11 which was last but my friend Sarah happened to get 2 and she was already really nervous so I traded her  when we all finished reading our speeches we went back into the lobby to let the judges decide on who won. While me and Sarah went to the bathroom I guess that nerdy kid I was talking about got out his rule book and bum rushed me and Sarah when we came out of the bathroom telling us that we aren?t supposed to use personal information we didn?t really care because we didn?t ever get a rule book but his teachers apologized for his rude cocky behavior and then started to tell us that there has never been at least 2 people from my school to come to this contest. Which was a spirit lifter because I was one of the brave people from my school to come studies show that the hardest thing for adults to do is public speaking anyway we went back to  the board room and they explained who won and nobody from my school won. But what really made Sarah and I mad was that we got beat by that really cocky nerdy kid .  and the judges say that it was because this contest was a speech contest and not an essay. And they said that he was the only one to actually speak it vs. read it which they said everybody else did. I thought our papers were really good or at least as good as his. What do you think?

Wetlands are wonderful

Hi my name is Taylor Alexandra and I am here to speak to you about the wetlands. What comes to mind when you think of the word wetlands? Is it that they are nasty, dirty, insect infested waters, or is it that they are wonderful? To many people wetlands may be a waste of time, money and land, but boy are they wrong, wetlands help contribute to our economy in many ways, for instance it helps with flooding and are among the most productive systems in the world. Also wetlands are ecologically  economically and socially important and are homes to many plants and animals for example it prevents the rivers and nearby streams from overflowing and damaging property. flooding causes more damage in the U.S. than anywhere else. It has cost the Government  4.6 billion dollars a year for the past 20 years. wetlands help control flooding which maybe vital for our economy and could  help save our governments money. for instance imagine if New Orleans didn?t have an abundant supply of wetlands to help absorb all that excess water would it look like Hurricane Katrina kit every year? imagine what would happen if ther ewernt any wetlands to suck up all that excess water they receive each year would it look like It did august 29. 2005. Also wetlands are not just used for humans but for plants and animals that live there as well.sucha s the black panther with its sleak jet black fr and its neon green eyes. Or the forest green alligator whos back is spiked like a porcuipines or maybe it?s the wonderful plants that live there as well. Whether it?s the blue flag flowers who?s as blue as the ocean with a golden center, or the showy lady?s slipper withs it flouresent pink colored petels, or maybe even the purple loosestrier with its bright pinkish purple flowers the plants and animals are what makes the wetlands beautiful. If the wetlands dissapper what would happen to the wonderful things that live there? Would they dissapper as well? The animals might migrate but what about the beautiful plants would they just die from lack of water?
For example my father owns his own business and what would happen if he ran out of inventory? What would happen to all the customers. They would soon got to the competing automotive industries but what would happen if all their inventory disappears as well soon the people of America would have broken vehichels and would have to forget about them and walk everywhere. Which is exactly what I am saying because when the water is gone we will have to worj hard to renew it like did up deep holes or get ocean water and boil out the salty germs. Our water disipeers little by little everday and if our water disipeers what will we do in a water crisis
Wetlands are wonderful and are being taken advandge of. The wetlands contribute a whole lot to our environment, and to all those construction workers or small business owners I hope you know wetlands are a major part of not only New Orleans but the whole world with out them wwe would be walking through miniature rivers filled with ?God Knows What? There wouldn?t be anything to suck up all that excess water and I mean come on lets be real wetlands aren?t doing any harm aucually there benifiting us so whats the point in destrouing them. Furthermore wetlands are the most benificall item in the enviorment in my oppion and many others as well. So next time you feel like destroying a wetland and building a starbucks think about it? seriously why would you? Whats your motive? I know why you shouldn?t? because wetlands are wonderful
Thank you for listening and I hope you took some of what I have told you to heart.