Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: Disk Usage Issues & Possible Damage to your Site.  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Disk Usage Issues & Possible Damage to your Site.
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
Seems that I've created an issue for myself over the past day or so. It could have been major, but turned out to be fairly easy to fix because it was on one of our test forums and not on the main FamilyForum site... but, it was scary because Underdog and I have been doing some file work on the FamilyForum and he is trying to get the Arcade Shoutbox all sorted out. What saves us was the fact that we didn't try to do lot file edits while to the FF files while the hazardous situation existed. (we did edit two files, but the consequences were small)

What happened was this, our hosting company installed a new control panel utility called 'R1Soft' that helps to manage things like backup's, so while working in that new cPanel I decided to do a full site backup of our site and did so without realizing that the backup would get stored on the server and would then need to be downloaded and deleted from the server... that would not have been a big issue except that it pushed our disk usage to over 123%.

Once I realized the mistake and as I was downloading the file (it was over 3GB!) my Firefox crashed and the download was lost at about 50%!  :thud:
So then I went ahead and deleted the b/u file from the server and that moved my disk usage back down to 4163.64 Meg.

Before the crash I was doing a full file and db tables reload on the test forum and had an issue with files being empty when uploaded to the server. Turns out that the fact that the disk usage was over the limits was causing a file to be empty when uploaded to the test forum but now that the disk usage has be reduced back down to an acceptable level the files do retain their content when loaded to the testsite so the question has been answered.

When the disk was over the limit and I uploaded a new set of SMF files a lot of them were empty of code... then after the disk usage was brought back under the limit and I tried to overwrite those empty files they would not accept all of the code, leaving them with 70-80% of the code that should have been in a given file. None of my efforts to fix them worked so in the end I deleted all of the exiting files for that install and uploaded a fresh set of SMF files... that worked as expected.

The lesson here is that if your disk usage goes past the limit then the potential exists for damage to your forum if you are doing file edits while the over the limit condition exists.
Another important point, it pays to read the manual.  :08:

Oh... there is one last chore, those two files we edited for the main forum will need to be re-edited just in case.
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline IchBin?

Re: Disk Usage Issues & Possible Damage to your Site.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
This was one of the very first answers to a support topic that I remember responding to at the SMF site. I had this happen to me about 10 years ago, and new the implications of it. The persons topic I was responding to was that their Settings.php file was always empty. lol Glad you figured that out. It's one of those things that could happen without really knowing. Would be nice if when you hit your quota that the host would send you an email though...
I love cheese cake.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:21:33 PM »
Would be nice if when you hit your quota that the host would send you an email though...

tumbleweed (or the server system) probably would have sent a notice, but it all more or less happened at about the same time. Because I was making the backup the disk usage got pushed over the top and then the file reloads and edits were being made and started to be corrupted. Then when I got ready to download the backup zip file the disk overage was noticed and the file corruption was discovered.
Me doing the 3+GB backup was the underlying problem, so once the backup was deleted from the server the problem was solved.

BTW... Frank (tumbleweed) and I were talking with PM's while this was going on, so the communication was there.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:32:06 AM »
Would be nice if when you hit your quota that the host would send you an email though...

Actually, hosting companies that use WHM (Web Host Manager) in conjunction with cPanel do have the option of alerting their clients automatically via email when certain percentages of disk space has been reached in the WHM settings. This also works with bandwidth settings. The only problem with this is that if you don't check your email first you'll have no idea what is going on. You'll only know that your site has been suspended or does not work and will most likely panic. LOL

If I remember correctly it is set by default to 70%, 80% and 100% of disk space and bandwidth currently being used. Of course, at 100% or more, most will suspend your account until you resolve the issue yourself...mostly by removing the offending files that are causing this.

tumbleweed (or the server system) probably would have sent a notice, but it all more or less happened at about the same time. Because I was making the backup the disk usage got pushed over the top and then the file reloads and edits were being made and started to be corrupted. Then when I got ready to download the backup zip file the disk overage was noticed and the file corruption was discovered.
Me doing the 3+GB backup was the underlying problem, so once the backup was deleted from the server the problem was solved.

BTW... Frank (tumbleweed) and I were talking with PM's while this was going on, so the communication was there.

Good thing he was online atm and could quickly resolve it for you. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:39:11 AM by Skhilled »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 07:31:15 AM »
Yes, it's helpful to have a host like Frank who takes the time to keep up with what is going on with a client. Actually he goes well beyond what I've seen before with the hosts that we've had through the years. Not only is he trying to be online whenever that's an issue, he's also available to me by phone if that's what it takes to fix something.

Of course, him being an active member here on the FF maybe helps a little as well.  :bigteeth: