Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Scrubmeister

2024-04-19, 10:32:40
Good to see the site back faster than ever. :)

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 21:09:09
I've upgraded the server...more resources. ;)

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:57:10
Now that you mention it...  :D

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 20:47:19
...and, you should notice that the site is much faster.  :o

Ken

2024-04-18, 20:31:37
Hey Steve.

Skhilled

2024-04-18, 17:56:10
Re-read the message below...

Skhilled

2024-03-31, 15:22:06
Oh yeah, you need to upgrade the site first...

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:54:54
Whoops! I forgot that the SMF install here on OFF is out of date!  :'(

Ken

2024-03-30, 09:44:48
 Conga-Rats Steve!  :thumbup:
Me gonna install it here just for the fun of it!  :)

Skhilled

2024-03-29, 22:15:23
Released!  :D

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: [Recipe]-Spaghetti with Clams & Corn  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
[Recipe]-Spaghetti with Clams & Corn
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:05:09 AM »
Spaghetti with Clams & Corn

Spaghetti with Clams & Corn Recipe
Fresh corn kernels give spaghetti and clams a hint of summer clambake. Look for minced fresh clams or clam strips at the seafood counter in your market.

READER'S COMMENT:
    "Pretty bland overall. The concept sounds good, but there was no real flavor. If I made this again, I would use real clams to steam and use the broth. Maybe that, and some fresh garlic and lemon and lots of basil and parsley might bring up...

4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each

Active Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients

* 6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
    * 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    * 3 cups diced sweet onions
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 2 ears; see Tip)
    * 6 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    * 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    * 2/3 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
    * 1 pound fresh minced clams, (see Note) or chopped clam strips
    * 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    * 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    * 1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preparation

1. Cook pasta in boiling water until just tender, about 8 minutes, or according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta.
   2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt, stir to coat, and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and just beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, stir in corn, garlic, thyme and pepper, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in wine and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
   3. When the pasta is ready, return the pan to medium-high heat. Stir in the reserved cooking liquid and clams (and any juices). Simmer, stirring often, until the clams are cooked through, about 1 minute. Stir in the pasta, basil and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.

Tips & Notes

* Tip: To remove corn from the cob: Stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. This technique produces whole kernels that are good for adding to salads and salsas. If you want to use the corn kernels for soups, fritters or puddings, you can add another step to the process. After cutting the kernels off, reverse the knife and, using the dull side, press it down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk.
    * Note: Fresh clams, shucked and minced, are available by the pound in the seafood department in large supermarkets. They are superior to canned varieties in both flavor and texture.

Nutrition

Per serving: 428 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 9 g fiber; 666 mg sodium; 840 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Iron (100% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (27% dv)

3 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:42:19 AM by Ken »
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.