Forum > Our Cancer Research Team

ABC Fora... Geek Speak on Prime Numbers.

(1/3) > >>

Ken:
Orakk has posted about this over on SeriousCrunchers.Net... Gimps gets a mention..

--- Quote from: Orakk;12130 ---So often we crunchers are reduced to, "data annualized by scientist" in the media but on this talk about prime numbers, Gimps gets a mention.

Terence Tao on the Beauty of Prime Numbers - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/fora/stories/2009/10/30/2728974.htm
--- End quote ---

I though that it was very interesting so it's posted here now.
Thanks for the great find Orakk.  :cool2:

This quote is from the ABC Fora site where the video is posted:

--- Quote ---Terence Tao on the Beauty of Prime Numbers -, 30 October 2009 10:00

Former child prodigy Terence Tao has grown up to be one of the world's greatest living mathematicians. At 24 he became the youngest ever person appointed full professor at UCLA, and at the tender age of 31 he was awarded the maths world's highest honour, the Fields medal. Back in his childhood home of Australia, he visited the ANU to deliver this fascinating talk about one of his favourite subjects, prime numbers.
--- End quote ---
Here's a short clip, you can see the full video on the ABC Fora site.

Orakk:
I found it interesting that Terence makes a point of explaining various encryption systems we use rely on this stuff heavily and as yet there's no magic formula for determining big prime numbers. If you're the sort of person who's looking for a new way to get stressed out, consider a world where encryption fails everywhere and at the same time..  :belly:

Sport:
Actually he did:

any non Prime can be factored into Primes....for example 110 can be factored to primes of 2*5*11..all primes...add 1 and 111 is only divisible by 1 and 111 a Prime, add another prime. 5 and you get 116(divisible by 2*2*29)...a non prime ...but add a non prime 8 for example you get 119  a Prime!!!...but adding 4 ...a non Prime gives you 115 ...divisible by 5*23 ...a non-Prime ;but adding 2 gives you 113...a prime

so a prime +2 is your best shot at the next prime!!!!!( of course every third iteration will be divisible by 3 so that needs to be taken into the formula and every fifth will be divisible by 5 and that as well and the list goes on....)

Orakk:
If that makes sense to you Keith, you're beginning to scare me..   :bigteeth:

Dataman:
I have to stop at 20 because that's all the fingers and toes I have.  :cry2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version