Forum > Hobbies

Thor's Hammer

(1/2) > >>

Ken:
Now that my health issues are starting to improve a little it's time to do some knocking around in the old workshop.  :08:

Most of my past 'woodworking' projects have been of the rough carpentry type and that's a perfectly honorable thing to be doing, but I'm wanting to increase my skills and start building projects that would be good enough to set out on Kay's counter top or dining table.

So... time for some new tools!  :2thumbs:
There is a BIG problem with new tools though, they can cost BIG money, so I'm trying to build what I need from bits and pieces in my scrap bin whenever possible.

One example is this hammer/mallet.
Wooden hammers and mallets are a must have when you want to hit an object but not damage it in the process.

More pics in the Gallery.

Ken:
In this closeup you can also see a smaller version that I made using the same kind of wood as in the larger mallet and using a brass fitting (plumbing) for the center section.

The wood in oak and the large hammer's head section was glued up from four short scrap pieces and then milled to accept the handle through the middle. It's heavy enough to exert some serious force on any resisting object.

More pics in the Gallery.

Skhilled:
Wow! Looks really great. I'll have to "brighten up" the photos for you soon.

Ken:

--- Quote from: Skhilled on May 21, 2011, 08:22:17 PM ---Wow! Looks really great. I'll have to "brighten up" the photos for you soon.

--- End quote ---

That may be from the overhead lighting, or maybe the camera.

Skhilled:
Here ya go...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version