Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

ShoutBox!

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:52:09
It may be released as early as today...if we all agree on it. ;)

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 09:37:46
Thank you, sir!  :)

Ken

2024-03-24, 09:28:38
I like it. Dark themes are not my first choice, but I like the crisp, clean lines.  :thumbup:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:56:28
The original theme is here:

https://www.jpr62.com/demos/index.php

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:53:17
You can always see the latest previews here but registration is disabled:

https://skhilled.com/cztest/index.php

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:50:36
Any previews yet?

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:46:18
We almost have another theme completed.  :laugh:

Skhilled

2024-03-24, 08:45:18
What's up, bro?  :drinking:

Ken

2024-03-24, 08:42:45
Hi Steve.  :)

Skhilled

2024-02-21, 21:11:25
I missed that one. LOL

Recent Topics

TP Articles

Search in titles
Search in article texts

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 26985 times)

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
COVID-19
« on: March 20, 2020, 03:28:52 AM »
... what's old is new again

Johnny Carson Jokes About The Recent Toilet Paper Shortage - 12/19/1973
"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien
Yesterday When I was Young.

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »
The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming
Larry Brilliant says he doesn’t have a crystal ball. But 14 years ago, Brilliant, the epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox, spoke to a TED audience and described what the next pandemic would look like. At the time, it sounded almost too horrible to take seriously. “A billion people would get sick," he said. “As many as 165 million people would die. There would be a global recession and depression, and the cost to our economy of $1 to $3 trillion would be far worse for everyone than merely 100 million people dying, because so many more people would lose their jobs and their health care benefits, that the consequences are almost unthinkable.”

Now the unthinkable is here, and Brilliant, the Chairman of the board of Ending Pandemics, is sharing expertise with those on the front lines. We are a long way from 100 million deaths due to the novel coronavirus, but it has turned our world upside down. Brilliant is trying not to say “I told you so” too often. But he did tell us so, not only in talks and writings, but as the senior technical advisor for the pandemic horror film Contagion, now a top streaming selection for the homebound. Besides working with the World Health Organization in the effort to end smallpox, Brilliant, who is now 75, has fought flu, polio, and blindness; once led Google’s nonprofit wing, Google.org; co-founded the conferencing system the Well; and has traveled with the Grateful Dead.

We talked by phone on Tuesday. At the time, President Donald Trump’s response to the crisis had started to change from “no worries at all” to finally taking more significant steps to stem the pandemic. Brilliant lives in one of the six Bay Area counties where residents were ordered to shelter in place. When we began the conversation, he’d just gotten off the phone with someone he described as high government official, who asked Brilliant “How the fuck did we get here?” I wanted to hear how we’ll get out of here. The conversation has been edited and condensed.
... follow the title link to read the entire article.

https://www.ted.com/talks/larry_brilliant_my_wish_help_me_stop_pandemics

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:06:17 AM »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • All of my passwords are protected by amnesia...
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »
The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming
Larry Brilliant says he doesn’t have a crystal ball. But 14 years ago, Brilliant, the epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox, spoke to a TED audience and described what the next pandemic would look like. At the time, it sounded almost too horrible to take seriously. “A billion people would get sick," he said. “As many as 165 million people would die. There would be a global recession and depression, and the cost to our economy of $1 to $3 trillion would be far worse for everyone than merely 100 million people dying, because so many more people would lose their jobs and their health care benefits, that the consequences are almost unthinkable.”

Now the unthinkable is here, and Brilliant, the Chairman of the board of Ending Pandemics, is sharing expertise with those on the front lines. We are a long way from 100 million deaths due to the novel coronavirus, but it has turned our world upside down. Brilliant is trying not to say “I told you so” too often. But he did tell us so, not only in talks and writings, but as the senior technical advisor for the pandemic horror film Contagion, now a top streaming selection for the homebound. Besides working with the World Health Organization in the effort to end smallpox, Brilliant, who is now 75, has fought flu, polio, and blindness; once led Google’s nonprofit wing, Google.org; co-founded the conferencing system the Well; and has traveled with the Grateful Dead.

We talked by phone on Tuesday. At the time, President Donald Trump’s response to the crisis had started to change from “no worries at all” to finally taking more significant steps to stem the pandemic. Brilliant lives in one of the six Bay Area counties where residents were ordered to shelter in place. When we began the conversation, he’d just gotten off the phone with someone he described as high government official, who asked Brilliant “How the fuck did we get here?” I wanted to hear how we’ll get out of here. The conversation has been edited and condensed.
... follow the title link to read the entire article.

https://www.ted.com/talks/larry_brilliant_my_wish_help_me_stop_pandemics

I was reading that in the news yesterday.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • View Gallery
    • Buildz Hosting
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 02:05:35 AM »
Amen, brother. Always stayed cool under fire!

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
Me loves Mila!  :heart:

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 05:21:44 AM »
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Songs From Home Episode 2: Live From My Kitchen Again
Songs From Home Episode 2: Live From My Kitchen
Mary Chapin Carpenter performing "Soul Companion" (co-starring Angus & White Kitty)

All of our dreams are laid out and measured
Arrows and pins and a rainbow of threads
Like hope on a string, sewn into the linings
For the courage to face the unknown ahead
—Soul Companion

Welcome back to #songsfromhome, Episode 2: Live from my kitchen again, singing “Soul Companion”…This song is from my 2012 album “Ashes and Roses”, and on the recording I had the great honor of having @jamestaylor_com contribute a verse, layered harmonies and guitar wizardry in his signature style.  What a thrill that was!

This episode’s highlights: Angus gets bored and 17 year old blind & deaf, one- eyed purring machine White Kitty makes her debut trying to figure out what in the world Mom is doing playing that wooden box and staring into that thingy that she’s surgically attached to.

Thank you all for tuning in, keep washing those hands, don’t touch your face and keep doing those elbow bumps. And please join me in hollering THANK YOU to the front liners, the first responders, the doctors, nurses, lab techs, EMTs, firemen and women, everyone who puts others first and who are there to take care of us if and when we need them… I am especially thinking of some old friends who are in the trenches right now with this terrible illness, and my heart aches for them. As the song says, “love finds its own way in/my soul companions/now let us begin…”

Until the next time, stay well!

Offline Ken (OP)

• Vietnam Era Veteran
  • Administrator
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 04:54:31 PM »